• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

quote:

Originally posted by Highlander:

Snow Creek, you can do it in running shoes even in early season, no crampons or axes needed.

Duh what he said if you are going to climb Prusik.

Ditto, do it this weekend and tell us about it at the Eastside Pub Club on 10/15

[ 10-09-2002, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Greg W ]

I used to think Aasgard was the way to go because, while the distance and elevation gain to the middle of the Enchantments (Lake Viviane below Prussik Peak) was the same, I preferred to spend my time at high elevation where I could be enjoying the subalpine environment and broader views. However, in recent years I have taken to favoring the Snow Creek approach because the trail is a little easier and in the event of bad weather or darkness I'd rather hike out through the trees than over a high pass and down a slightly treacherous talus slope. Also, I'd rather walk on an old carriage road than contribute to the erosion on the Aasgard route.

Of course it depends on what your objective is. If you are headed in to climb Prusik or Witches Tower I think Asgard is the better option. But if you are aiming for some of the other crags up there head up Snow Creek-Nada Creek to Temple Canyon. I haven't been up Rat Creek. But that's another option.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

Good point Hamboner; however, for Prusik, once you hit Viviane, boom, you're there. Plus the trail to Asgaard is a scree fest; trail from Snow Lake is better.

cool, i am just thinking of hiking the loop (colchuck to snow creek pk lot)soon.

quote:

Originally posted by Lambone:

quote:

Good point Hamboner; however, for Prusik, once you hit Viviane, boom, you're there. Plus the trail to Asgaard is a scree fest; trail from Snow Lake is better.

cool, i am just thinking of hiking the loop (colchuck to snow creek pk lot)soon.

Are you doing it in a single push from trailhead to trailhead? I have been thinking of doing this; PM me if you're interested.

quote:

quote:

Lambone the diplomat...

Definitely two thumbs up for Toketie drainage, its loads of fun, especially in the rain.

Glad everyone likes snow lakes approach, it cuts the down on the crowds on the best way- up to colchuck and over aasgard. This way isn't that hard, the views are better, and you end up high in elevation. If you go out snow creek, the rest of the trip is downhill and you can enjoy the enchantments without having to work uphill.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you doing it in a single push from trailhead to trailhead? I have been thinking of doing this; PM me if you're interested.

yes, but you'd havta appologize for all the spray you dished out to me over the last year. I want a seperate written appology for each incident [laf]

no, i will probably either go solo, or with my nazi hiker friend glen, no offense...some other time maybe [big Drink]

Go light. I ran it in a bit over 4 hours a couple years ago starting at Colchuck trailhead. And I'm old (47). Just take some iodine to refill bottles. One in a carrier, another using a hand strap, cliff bars, gu, and you're set. Light windbreaker is advisable. Better get up there and do it soon.

We did the Snow Lakes approach a few weeks ago on a car to car trip to S Face Prusik, and in hindsight, would do no different. Weather turned to crap during the climb with last two pitches in snow, and sleet covered rock for the raps. Was quite happy to be returning to the car through the trees in the drizzle coming down at the lower elevations.

quote:

We hiked the loop this time last year as a day trip and bagged Dragontail and Witches Tower along the way. We also hit Prusik Pass and contoured around the north side of Prusik Peak, emerging on the Snow Creek Trail at Nada Lake before heading out.

-

Great fun.

I hate snow lakes trail, you lose an extra 2000 vertical feet or something like that, and you gain that as well going in.

Why not start at colchuck at 3000+ feet instead of 1300' for snow lakes? Aasgard is not that bad, especially now, since the scree will be solid from freezing temps and the runoff on the pass, as last year at this time when i did the one day traverse, it was solid scree that was frozen.

I plan on going up to the upper enchantments this weekend and I amgoing asskicker pass for sure.

I'd never use Snow Creek instead of Aasgard unless I was only hitting something on the extreme Eastern end of the Enchantments (like the Temple) -- not for Prusik or anything west of it. Coming in via Snow Creek you have 5500' of gain in about 10 miles (from trailhead to Lake Viviane). Coming from Aasgard, its about 4100' (thats 1400' less gain than Snow Creek) gain to Lake Viviane from the Colchuck Lake trailhead and about 8.5 miles. So if you're going into climb Annapurna, Dragontail, Pruski, or anything else of relevance in the Enchantments, it's a no-brainer. Take Aasgard Pass!