Ice Cliff Glacier Route

otherguy

Does anyone know if the shrund on the upper glacier is still passable\doable by a not so technical climber. If you have a recent photo even better.

It seems as if the temperature dropping like it has been this route would be great. If one could cross the schrunds to the ridge leading up the summit.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done the route, but from what I've read and seen (from other ascents of Stuart) the Ice Cliff glacier certainly isn't a route that I would recommend for a not-so-technical climber. Also, late in the year it's supposed to be pretty much just an icefall.

An icefall is good ice climbing.

Not so technical is a term I use loosely. I don't climb 5.10 WI5. I do have experience on other peaks and have climbed the mountain a few times by different routes.

[ 10-08-2002, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: otherguy ]

otherguy,

Had a veiw of the Ice Cliff from the N Ridge at the end of September. It looks rather gnarly down in there right now. The glacier was rumbling all day, and rock was falling all over the place. Bergrshrunds and crevasses were huge. If you haven't seen it in person you may want to reconsider, I would say that getting up it would be very technical and dangerous now. But who knows, you may cruise it???

Thanks.. The weatherforecast even at Snoqualmie Pass is at or within 9 degrees of freezing for the weekend. I don't think waiting is much of a necessity.

I guess if nobody really knows what it's like in there I may or may not try it. Further comments on the conditions are welcomed.

[ 10-08-2002, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: otherguy ]

I did it earlier this year with dps and mvs. I would be very surprised if the upper schrund was passable at all without

1) climbing yuck rock to one side (this as resulted in the near-death of at least one climber in the recent past) or

2) rapping into the schrund and climbing up the opposing wall

the approach is only 4 hours max from the car, though, so go in and check it out. It is a really stellar area to be in, regardless of whether you climb or not. Plus, by now I bet most of the bugs are dead, making it all the more pleasant boulder hopping.

Alex

I did the route in the end of June back in 00. The upper shrund was open and impassable then, we detoured onto rock and made about 75' of rock moves to 5.8 with our crampons on.

I would "guess" or expect to find worse conditions at this time of year, but I would also expect stellar ice in the icefall.

I concur with Alex. Climbed it this June and had a weather epic once above the schrund and for the next ten hours or so. Very scary to be high on the route with 40 MPH winds, heavy spindrift, limited visibility, and overnight packs. We hunkered down on the other side after topping out of the gully, and waited out the weather until the next day. I can't imagine it would be a quick climb this time of year for the average alpinist. So you should try it and let us all know.

Wear your helmet and take pitons.

John Sharp

• 2 weeks later...