Garfield

remlec

I was wandering on Garfield (south route)this weekend and noticed the summit register had several claims of 2 3/4 to 3 hr car to summit. True? Should I just cave in and toss out my hikers now? It took me ... considerably ... longer. Also, any knowledge of the south face? Pete Doorish has a multi day 5.9 just right of the south ridge also noted in the register.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In September 2001, I climbed the South Route with friends Andreas, Greg, and Sean. We climbed fairly fast, and managed 5:20 car-to-car. I believe that it was 2:45 car-to-summit, but it might have been 3:00. Andreas, Greg, and Sean all had approach shoes, but I was in Makalu's, so no need to toss out your hikers!

When we were looking in the summit register, we noticed a guy who had soloed the South Route several times (I believe it was Steve something), and had mentioned that he had done some of the flagging (thank him if you find him!). If I remember correctly, his car-to-summit time was 3:15 or 3:30.

While driving away, we saw some guys standing on the side of the road, looking up at Garfield, and we stopped to talk. When I asked if they were checking out one of the Doorish routes, one of them said, "Well, actually I am Pete Doorish." Upon hearing this, one of his younger companions said, "Dude, you're famous!?"

I went back the next weekend, with friend Mark, to try one of the South face routes. This time we got veritably spanked. We got about 2/3 of the way up the Central Gully (not even to the "base" of the climb), before giving up and making several rappels on the way down. The Central Gully was characterized by flat sections interspersed with fifth class steps. I've since wondered if there was any snow in it when Doorish did his routes (possibly burying some of the steep steps).

i did the standard (south) rt a couple years ago in just over 5 hrs solo, round trip. that was hanging out on top enjoying the incredible views for half hour or so too. the 'hazardous enigma' wasnt quite what i thought it would be. there were other sub 3 hr summits from wht i remember too. i havent read too many summit register entries that i ever doubted...none in fact. ever known anyone to chant falsley in a register??

id go up there again to climb that leaning tower. real cool looking [smile]

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Was reading Mr. Beckey's description of the North Route for the Main Peak of Garfield and was curious if any of you posters have been that way. Mr. B says it's a seldom used route. Since these always interest me to some degree, wondering what experiences some of you may have had. He says it's best done in early season when snow covers brush and fills the steep gully leading to the summit.