Olympia Climbing Wednesdays

Off_White

Here's your official report:

Calvin & Hobbes (10b) and Rubber Boa (11c) are the only fully dry things. Virgins (11c) is really close, looks like only part of the easy handrail at the top is wet. Futility Bill (11d) Shaking Hands with the Governor (10b) & Confucius (11b) are pretty close, maybe Saturday afternoon. The hillside above is still weeping a lot of water, but it sure is pretty in the sunlight right now.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

What with the time change and drier weather, looks like we're back on for the 7th season of Olympia Climbing Wednesdays. Had a great evening last night with the entire right side dry. Look for some lovely anchor upgrades this year too...

Edited by Off_White

Hi, what are the new anchors? Fixed draws? I would also like to learn how to bolt and bolt some projs as well as some easier lines. Has the far far left corner ever been looked at? I'm down for some major cleaning opps.

• 1 month later...

how was it? still haven't been there :(.

I know it's higher grades out there, but would appreciate the chance to take a look and work up to 'em.

Can I hitch a ride with someone next week (if it's on)?

I'm in west oly, but can bike to meet up at some more central loc.

I'm a total gear/outdoor newb. i'm in the super cool 20x2-something newb crowd.

thess

edit. getting a ride from zhanx. looking forward to it.

Edited by damage

Cleaned a new/retro prob to the immediate right of Pet and Ted. It has a stopper intro move down low then turns into a moderate 11-/10+. Could be done as an alternate finish to Pete and Teds half way up the wall or option b is to go up never surrender? and bust out left to meet up with it. Slim pickins at the quarry for new continuous hard lines...

Hmmm, is this the white streak?

Yes, new continuous hard lines are scant, its a pretty small crag and been active for over 20 years now. Check out the corner between that 11b buttress & The Entertainer, down on the left end. We'd need some access through the chossy band or you'll have to do the overhanging start to The Entertainer with the somewhat sketchy hold.

• 3 weeks later...

Aww hell, it's close, but I think its just a little too damp. It rained really hard yesterday, hard enough that there is no trace of any chalk from Monday left on the wall. The ground is all wet, and the starting hold on Calvin & Hobbs flexes open really easily. There's drips on Hercules, Futility Bill, & Squirt Theory. I want it to be climbing night so damned badly, but I fear if we're out there today we're going to lose some hold or another. Most routes have no holds to spare.

This has been the worst spring for Climbing Wednesdays I can recall. Ya'll should contact me via pm/email/phone during dry spells and not count on Wednesdays until we really settle into a dry pattern. Doug & Bill were awfully smart to hit it on Monday.