Olympia Climbing Wednesdays

Off_White

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, most every wednesday someone will be out. A decent rain on a tuesday can shut it down as the hillside above tends to drip for awhile. The sun went off it about 3:30 yesterday, thats about when we start. 90+ temps can be brutal!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: 6/17/09

It's looking like a swell evening, cool temps, no rain, occasional mosquitoes. Most everything is dry by now too, with the notable exception of Dead Low Tide. Indications are for a sizable turnout too, see ya'll out here.

UPDATE 6/24/09

It's been dry all day, though radar suggests there's a persistent band of showers hanging out down by the I-5 corridor, so who knows what the evening holds. Looks okay right now though...

While raptor nesting may be protected on public lands, there is no such prohibition on hornets nesting on private land, so the nest down by Pete & Ted's Excellent Adventure has been sprayed.

Just a quick intro of myself, since i'll be crashing your wed gatherings :). I pm'd Off White and got directions. I'm pretty new to the climbing thing, mostly done outdoor scrambling and some recent boldering/traversing at the alpine wall. I prefer being outside, and am hoping the wed group will be somewhat forgiving of my newb-ness.

And of course _any_ suggestions on where a beginner can go (around here) might be in your best interest after a few hangdogin' sessions :D

Edited by damage

• 2 weeks later...

I cleaned and chalked Critter Corner (the 5.9 crack on the far left) last night so it is a LOT nicer to climb now. Get on it and keep it clean everyone, its the best easy route at the quarry. I might not be there next wednesday, squamish is calling me.

• 2 weeks later...

actualy on second thought, it'll probably be cooler there than in my apartment. I think I'll come down with my brushes and scrub some routes, dead low tide and that 10a on the far right need some traffic.

There's also the quarry pool in the city park in Tenino, guarantee cold enough to chill your core. Tell 'em you live in zip code 98589 and the Tenino School District and you'll get in for 50 cents. Might be worth a dip before doing such great public service.

Dom, I have a scrub brush on an extendable painting pole in my shop carport, feel free to use it if you're so inclined.

yeah, that's hot, but I haven't had a chance to get out there yet and was almost willing to suffer the heat for it.

i work tonight, so i'd have to be there at the hottest most miserable part of the afternoon.

next wed then.

• 2 weeks later...