light weight alpine pack

chesterboo

I am looking to get lightweight alpine pack under 4 lbs to hold around 40 lbs plus or minus . I have looked at the black diamond shadow 55 and the jansport endeavor 50 that look pretty cool. any suggestions? I have Gregory palisades that is nearly 8 lbs and a 6 lb arctreryx 55 liter

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I have been proud of getting my load down to 35-40 lbs. IN past doing rainier I have carried 60 plus. IN fact, 5 years ago on Rainier I had 70. How much do you guys carry with a 2 man team on a 2-3 day ascent of Rainier or you pick the peak? I just feel that I could shave my pack weight pretty easy by about 3-4 lbs. thanks for all the suggestions

Well, i would say here are the top 4 differences:

1) Partial compression. As we use dee-clips instead of zippers, you can, for example, just close down the top 2/3 of the pack instead of closing down the side. The result is a much better carrying pack.

2) We give you a al stay and a framesheet. Use them if the load is heavy. leave them at home if its not heavy.

3) User defined strap configuration. You load the pack, you put the straps where you need them. There is no other pack in the world capable of this.

4)No tool tubes and a crampon pocket. This might seem silly, but if you use taa-k-oons or similar with pinky rests, you can't use packs with tool tubes.

how's that for starters as far as differentiation?

you can buy the packs off of the website now. many people have bought them from the website...

and i contribute to cc.com. in fact, i am even considering advertising! (oly?)

Man, I have been proud of getting my load down to 35-40 lbs. IN past doing rainier I have carried 60 plus. IN fact, 5 years ago on Rainier I had 70. How much do you guys carry with a 2 man team on a 2-3 day ascent of Rainier or you pick the peak?

On a 2-man, 2-day ascent of Rainier on the Muir side my pack weighs 27 pounds when I leave the parking lot. That includes 4 pounds of pack and 4.5 pounds of water (which obviously decreases as the day goes on), which leaves me with about 19 pounds of gear. If I have trained well and am in reasonable shape, I will be carrying 5 pounds less fat on my body than I have now.

This takes us back to the classic Gram Counter's Fallacy: instead of spending hours deliberating on what kind of new gear to buy, you could be spending hours running stairs, thereby making yourself stronger, lighter, and richer by not spending $200 on a new pack that saves you one pound. That $200 could buy your park entry fee, your climbing permit, gas for the drive, beer afterwards, and you would STILL have more than $100 left over. I'm not saying you are fat, just highlighting the point that the gear doesn't get you up the hill. But there are other reasons for buying a pack than saving weight. Comfort is nice, and it's okay to look cool. Remember,

If you're looking good you're feeling good

If you're feeling good, you're climbing good

If you're climbing good, you're looking good

foam pad and lightweight sleeping bag with my puffy jacket. dont need no super duper bag to stay warm and who wants to camp on the side of rainier when your wife is at home keeping the bed home.

fromage......that is exactly what i have been saying but all these dot.com people with more money to burn then time still think that buying the high tech light shit is gonna make them better climbers.......

Hey, Take it easy guys. I don't need to be insulted by people who don't even know me. Meet me and then insult me if you still want to. I was asking for some advice on good light weight packs. I am trying to lighten the load I take up the mountain. I think 8 lbs for a pack is too much.

This takes us back to the classic Gram Counter's Fallacy: instead of spending hours deliberating on what kind of new gear to buy, you could be spending hours running stairs, thereby making yourself stronger, lighter, and richer by not spending $200 on a new pack that saves you one pound.

Someone sounds bitter that they don't have a couple of hundred bucks to drop on a nice new pack... and it's not me. yellowsleep.gif

You're presupposing that it's an either/or decision. Some of us spend a fair amount of time trying to make sure we have the best gear for the job in hand and a lot of time training.

You're also assuming that we all want to be rich(er). You can't spend it when your dead. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all the imput people. In the end I think for me it came down to the cold world packs and the cilogear. I ordered one of cilogears packs. I liked the adaptability of it and I like to support small business. If I am not happy with it, I will send it back for a refund. I will keep you all posted what I think. Thanks again. PS, if I am happy with it I may be putting a Gregory Palisades pack and an Arcteryx RT55 in the yard sale. Both in great condition!