Tent Question

Knowsam

I've been looking for a better 2-person tent for the Canadian Rockies. I think I've settled on the MH skyledge. It's as lighter than a Firstlight once you include the vestiable and b/c its double walled I'm hoping it will be drier. But after seeing all the suggestions for singlw wall tents on this site, I'm wondering what the advantage is? Am I not catching something? - I know for 4 season winter mountaineering they're better but it seems like 4 season really means 1 season, winter. Anyone help me out?

Thanks Sean

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do it. That MH looks like a hiker's tent. Single walls are stronger, easier to set up, AND WAY lighter. You don't NEED a vestibule.

Both of those tents you are looking at are 3-season tents. The Firstlight fabric, EPIC, is very light and very dry. I seriously wouldn't worry about it being too hot, or too much like a winter tent at all. I've used a Bibler I-tent, in warm conditions many times and its been fine. Its not like it gets very hot in the Rockies anyway.

Get the Firstlight.

Single walls are stronger, easier to set up, AND WAY lighter. You don't NEED a vestibule.

Is this an assumption that one would be doing a lot of climbing WITH the tent in tow?

Seems to me, most of the "popular" expedition tents (NF Mt 25, MH Trangos, etc) have the rain fly and vesti so they are 2 wall. True, probably heavier, but it seems most go this route.

Side question, anybody have any experience with the MH Trango Assault? All I know is it's suppose to be a tiny bit smaller than the Trango 2, but is that the only difference?

I wish the hell MH had some sort of "intended use" or a "why the hell we made this specific model of tent" on their web site since some of the models seem awefully similar. Hard to tell what they had in mind when they developed one tent versus another.

Thanks for all the responses,

digger: I looked a the EVO but the $650 price tag sucks and I really want a solid 3 season tent that'll last for the Canadian Rockies. I still don't know why everyone recommends a single wall tent though. DirtyH commented that the sky ledge is a hiking tent but what's the difference. Both need to be light (with the double often being lighter), strong and weather proof. If I'm sleeping on route I'll take a bivy sac but for the camp at base why do I want a single wall tent? I sleep in a down bag so if they are going to get wet it will be an issue for me. I can't figure out the advantage?

Sean

From the Gila all the way to Robson, and on any given day it can be pretty hot, or cold. Perhaps it has more to do with the altitude/thinner protection from the atmosphere and the intensity of the sun frying me and creating the sensation of heat.

I've been looking for a better 2-person tent for the Canadian Rockies. I think I've settled on the MH skyledge. It's as lighter than a Firstlight once you include the vestiable and b/c its double walled I'm hoping it will be drier. But after seeing all the suggestions for singlw wall tents on this site, I'm wondering what the advantage is? Am I not catching something? - I know for 4 season winter mountaineering they're better but it seems like 4 season really means 1 season, winter. Anyone help me out?

Thanks Sean

How long before Columbia Sportwear Co (who owns MH) votes to move production to a cheaper facility to maximize profit? Or has it already happen? Yeah you got a warranty but when you replace crap w/ crap are you really fixing anything?

Single wall from BD, Bibler or Integral Designs. thumbs_up.gif

To answer your question

"sky ledge is a hiking tent but what's the difference?" The difference is when the weather turns where you can expereince winter in the summer, then a 3 season tent may not have adequate strength to withstand the winds. Hiking tents are for below treeline where winds are not a issue.

Some 3 season tents have pretty good strength though. I used one such tent (MEC tarn 2 ) in pretty tough wind, snow and rain and it survived.

-Look for at least 4 (better yet 6) guye lines attached to midway up the side of the tent. Low guye lines and ground corner loops for staking are worthless in wind. (think torque and lever arms)

-Also the amount of netting that comprises the body of the tent matters in storms too. Winds will blast moisture under the fly and up the body. Excessive netting will let that moisture inside. (look at 4 season tents and you will find very little body netting for this and temperature reasons)

-Also, demand that your tent have taped seams, especially in the fly. (except for the firstlight which you must seamseal)

"why use a single wall tent in the summer?"

You get 4 season protection for 3 season weight. (except for 3 season single walled of course) Single wall tents have bug netting that allows you to ventilate keeping it cooler in summer. Four season tents are not like a down jacket. Easy to ventilate.

SO the questions you must ask yourself is

What conditions will I be exposed to? (mostly wind)

Will my tent be able to withstand it? (guy lines, strength of fly)

What will happen if the tent fails? (simple walk out?)

I think an important factor for 3- versus 4-season tents, which Genepires touched on but did not seam to emphasize, is the warmth factor. With netting comprising most of the inner wall, much of the heat that you generate inside the tent will be vented away. 4-season tents have solid walls, with mesh only on the doors which you can open to ventilate or close if it is cold. Tents offer a significant thermal advantage over sleeping outside, but this is only maximized with 4-season designs.

Thanks again for all the responses. My real worry is condensation. I had looked at the Lighthouse 2 but lots of the reviews mentioned problems w/ condensation when it got cooler. The Rockies get cooler a lot and I'd rather not have a soaked tent. Anyone have suggestions on a light tent that won't get soaked? I'm open to getting a single wall but I figured with a double wall - I can deal with the temps through my bag and layers and let the mesh take care of the moisture.

Thanks Sean