Simple April Alpine Climbs?

Tom253

I have very basic mountaineering experience and would like to get my feet wet on a non-technical alpine climb this month. Been looking around at tons of route descriptions but can't seem to find any that are appropriate for my level of experience.

Any climb ideas in western WA that would allow me to get my feet wet without getting in over my head would be appreciated.

Looking for anything that doesn't require rock pro or crossing terrain higher than class 2 or 3.

Thanks

Edited by Tom253

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's so many that this is hard to answer. For easier non-technical scrambles that could still be called a climb I would recommend:

Snoqualmie Mt - south side

Red Mt (mostly snow now)

Mt Baring (mostly snow)

Mt Pilchuck

Hidden Lake Pk (wait for access road to open)

Search nwhikers and

wta

and you may find some reports on these.

check out the tatoosh range. specific names elude me now but I remember a very cool little snow climb. best in spring.

sauk mountain in spring would be good too. snow climb.

while it is a "hike", mt dickerman on mtn loop highway is very good this time of year. has a summer trail under the snowpack.

mt vesper has a mellow side (south side?) which is approached via another buried summer trail.

there are climbs for you but my brain is dome for the night.

gene

check out the tatoosh range. specific names elude me now but I remember a very cool little snow climb. best in spring.

Two of the peaks are Pinnacle and Castle. I've done each of them in April and in the right conditions they could be what you're looking for. This year in particular the snow could require skis or snowshoes in much of April. I used skis. Also, be aware of avy danger on the south facing slopes.

Whan that Aprille with his schoures swote.

The drought of Marche hath perced to þe rote.

And bathed euery veyne in suche licoure.

Of whiche vertue engendrid ys the floure.

And Zephirus eke with his swete breth.

Enspired hath in euerie holt and heth.

The tendre croppes and the yong sonne.

Two of the peaks are Pinnacle and Castle. I've done each of them in April and in the right conditions they could be what you're looking for. This year in particular the snow could require skis or snowshoes in much of April. I used skis. Also, be aware of avy danger on the south facing slopes.

Actually... be very aware of that bowl on the northeast side of Castle on the way up.

Unicorn (in the Tatoosh) is another very good one, but the summit block is probably a bit more than you'd be comfortable with if you're looking for Class 2/3, no pro required. Perfect time to do it is right after they open the Stevens Canyon Rd and you can park at the Snow/Bench Lake trailhead.

I'm in the same boat as Tom, but probably have even less experience. I'm looking for routes in the north cascades that I can learn on and gain experience this spring.

These would all be good climbs for someone who knows how to lead on gear, but hasn't done it much, hasn't climbed much in the alpine, isn't into big commitment, or doesn't want steep snow or rock harder than 5.6...

Rock: Beckey route on Lib. Bell

South Arete of S. Early Winter Spire

W. Ridge of North Twin

R&D route - Icicle Buttress in Leavenworth

Snow: SW Couloir of S. Early Winter Spire

Mt. Ruth

Snow and Rock sections: Sahale via Sahale Glacier

get a copy of the red and green editions of the Cascade Alpine Guide and browse through to find more stuff that fits your current skills.

read this: http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/504056/an/0/page/21#504056

Yes, I'd agree that Blake's recommendations are one step up from the others.

Another good one not listed here is Rock Mountain, above Highway 2. However, it has a large cornice above the bowl facing east, and you may want to steer clear of it. It has fantastic views and a relatively straight forward approach - though plenty of altitude gain - and I've gotten ticks there at this time of year (for some reason they seem less abundant this year than most and they are not really that big of a deal anyway).

If you live down toward Olympia or out on the Kitsap Penninsula, Mount Ellinor can be a good spring outing.

beowulf of course, which translates into "quit being a vag"

beowulf of course, which translates into "quit being a vag"

You're kidding, yah? Is Chaucer. Though you're right that all of Beowulf basically translates into "quit being a vag."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as you Tom. I'm a newbie with limited climbing experience, but I've done lots of summertime summit scrambles, mostly within Mt. Rainier NP. I recently checked out a book from the library called 75 scrambles in Washington (published by the Mountaineers I believe). Most of them are class 2 with some occasional class 3 moves. I don't have it with me right now, but I believe it listed Mt. Ellinor (Hood Canal area of the Olympics) and Mt. Wow (southwest corner of Mt. Rainier NP) as being good spring scrambles. Hope this helps and good luck!