[TR] Cerise Creek- Keith's Hut 3/24/2006

Gary_Yngve

Climb: Cerise Creek-Keith's Hut

Date of Climb: 3/24/2006

Trip Report:

Kevin, Ruth, and I went to Keith's Hut Fri-Sun.

There were only seven at the hut Fri night, but there were at least twenty Sat night! When we left the hut mid-afternoon on Sunday, only three others remained.

I pity the foo who was training for a 3-week ski traverse by spooning peanut butter into his mouth (he was praising the high calorie-to-weight ratio). We enjoyed multiple teas and liquors, a bottle of wine, noodle dishes from east to west including one with my slow-cooked Sicilian sauce and steamed broccoli topped with asiago, and for dessert, Swiss dark chocolate and strawberries dipped in a Chambord-infused whipped cream.

We had a nice mix of sun and freshiez. The snow further down was pretty stable, but the top 10-20 cm were shearing easily and cleanly as soft slabs. We chose our terrain carefully and had a great time.

zjoffre.jpg

Joffre at sunrise.

zmatier.jpg

Skinning up with Matier behind.

zruth.jpg

Ruth on the west ridge of Vantage.

zkevin.jpg

Kevin in nice telemark form.

zsouth.jpg

Cool clouds to the south.

zturns.jpg

Money turns on the NE side of Vantage.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pictures!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

It looks like you stayed to the slopes south of the cabin (forget the name of the peak) across the valley from Matier and Joffre. Mattp and I considered heading there while we were up there, but decided to make sure our third partner was okay getting back to the car. Do you know of any other good tours around in that area? The Duffey Lake Road area is supposed to be littered with easily accessible cabins. It was the first Canada trip I had taken in a while.

Do you know of any other good tours around in that area? The Duffey Lake Road area is supposed to be littered with easily accessible cabins. It was the first Canada trip I had taken in a while.

There are only two huts along the Duffy - the one in Cerise that you have been too, and the one in Marriott Basin, which is across the Cayoosh valley (the main valley) and a little west. It is maintained by the Whistler ACC. They have a website which has directions to that hut. It will be almost as overcroweded as the Haberl hut was. There is also an "illegal" hut at the base of Snowspider Mt. which is over the Vantage col from Cerise - I think Bivouac has a TR or two on that. Altho not on the Duffey Lake Rd. , there is a hut in Phelix Creek, in the Birkenhead area north of Pemberton which is great, but the access is a little longer. Try the UBC Varsity Outdoors Club website.

There is loads of touring in the other side valleys along this road without huts - just bring a tent and enjoy the solitude.

Don's suggestion for a guidebook is a good one, or else just look at a map, check out Bivouac, and go exploring. John's guidebook is increasingly out of date, particularly on access. Bivouac is probably worth the subscription to complement the guidebook and for new beta.

Dru, first of all, you're quite the asshole for your accusations.

Second, we were the last group to leave the hut on Sunday (after the group with the dude who commented on all the left-behind bottles, etc.). We swept the place, paid our money, etc. For that matter, it felt like we were consistently filling the snow bucket time and time again, but whenever we went to get meltwater, there was none. We packed out all our garbage plus some. I had all the wine / liquor prepackaged into various-sized Nalgenes.

My only "crime" would have been being a little noisy for a few minutes getting ready for a pre-dawn tour.

Do you know of any other good tours around in that area? The Duffey Lake Road area is supposed to be littered with easily accessible cabins. It was the first Canada trip I had taken in a while.

There are only two huts along the Duffy - the one in Cerise that you have been too, and the one in Marriott Basin, which is across the Cayoosh valley (the main valley) and a little west. It is maintained by the Whistler ACC. They have a website which has directions to that hut. It will be almost as overcroweded as the Haberl hut was. There is also an "illegal" hut at the base of Snowspider Mt. which is over the Vantage col from Cerise - I think Bivouac has a TR or two on that. Altho not on the Duffey Lake Rd. , there is a hut in Phelix Creek, in the Birkenhead area north of Pemberton which is great, but the access is a little longer. Try the UBC Varsity Outdoors Club website.

There is loads of touring in the other side valleys along this road without huts - just bring a tent and enjoy the solitude.

Also a cabin on/near Cayoosh, various cabins in Halymore accessed from Anderson side, another illegal one in a fork of Van Horlick, mining shacks here and there, and also plans for a JMillar commemerative hut in Steep Creek and a new BCMC cabin north of Lizzie.

Places that need huts and reward tent-based exploration:

North Joffre Creek

Spetch Creek

Duke/Caspar

Channel, Blowdown, Gott Creeks

Jordo there is a cabin up Blowdown. Below the prominent pass 2km North-east of "Cirque Lake".

Met some sleds this year in Van Hor that were transporting supplies to build "something". Is this the hut you're referring to, or is this another?

Oleg/Olds I found better access via North Joffre Creek (north fork). Spetch doesn't seem like a logical ski access to any of the Place Glacier area. The road reaches the prominent creek draining the south fork of Spetch Creek. There is a massive headwall at the head of Spetch. The summer trail follows the south fork towards Saxifrage and Cassiope (good spring ski access).

The run off Oleg is indeed excellent! The two southern sub-peaks of Cirque hold good turns as well.

Edited by hubris