sushi / car breakins?

Three separate topics here, but from the same situation.

We wanted dinner and were thinking about sushi in Vancouver, but we were worried about someone breaking into our car and stealing backpacks full of stinky clothes (and avy beacons). So instead we went to the brewery in Squamish.

1) Are there good sushi places in Squamish?

2) How severe is the breakin problem in Vancouver? Any parts of town where you'd trust leaving a Subie with WA plates and visible backpacks during dinner?

3) I know a bunch of folks have gotten broken into in the Aprons lot. Have there been breakins at Squish restaurants, such as the Brewery?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three separate topics here, but from the same situation.

We wanted dinner and were thinking about sushi in Vancouver, but we were worried about someone breaking into our car and stealing backpacks full of stinky clothes (and avy beacons). So instead we went to the brewery in Squamish.

1) Are there good sushi places in Squamish?

2) How severe is the breakin problem in Vancouver? Any parts of town where you'd trust leaving a Subie with WA plates and visible backpacks during dinner?

3) I know a bunch of folks have gotten broken into in the Aprons lot. Have there been breakins at Squish restaurants, such as the Brewery?

Pretty much all sushi places downtown will have you parking in places where you wouldn't want to leave a penny in the ashtray. The best option if you are Squmaish bound is to sample one of the many sushi restaurants on Lonsdale Ave in North Van, aka Sushi Row. There are - at last count - 11 in 23 blocks hellno3d.gif The best are: Gen, Kansai, Sen, Alicia, and Kampopo. There is also a good one on east 3rd St one block east of Lonsdale with good all you can eat deals.

You'll be able to park on the street right out front of any of these places and the break in potential is much less than downtown.

Capitalizing on the trendiness of sushi, Mountain burger house will soon become Mountain Sushi House. The menu will not change, however. You will just get the salmon burger without the bun.

Mountain WoMan in Brittania will follow suit by stopping the deep frying process in their fish and chips offerings.

What freaked me out was the Canadian Immigration dood sitting behind the desk at the Peace Arch was wearing body armor.

They wear that to protect themselves from gun-toting US border guards and citizens. The Canadian Border Patrol does not carry fire-arms, so they rely on mind-boggingly complicated forms (in triplicate), harsh language and kevlar for protection of the northern homeland (our Charter of Rights and Freedoms prohibits them from relying on the protection of God).

Having said all that, I don't remember the break-in problem being that serious in either Vancouver or Squish. Use common sense, and don't expect that a glass-enclosed box is the same as a safe in your basement. My car has never been broken into in either place.

Nope. He WANTS to. Once he finds out what kind of psychos make up of most of the CBP, he is going to change his mind.

Actually, most of the border guards on the land-crossings in the summer are university students. Imagine the average VOCer carrying a Glock. Don't think it is going to happen.

Having said all that, I don't remember the break-in problem being that serious in either Vancouver or Squish. Use common sense, and don't expect that a glass-enclosed box is the same as a safe in your basement. My car has never been broken into in either place.

How did you get your car into a safe in the basement?

Most of the break in's are done by junkies needing money for a fix. They are looking for things that are easy to steal and can sell. If your gear is out of sight it should be safe. I would cover your gear with a blanket and park in well traveled areas.

I still have NJ plates on my car and have not had a problem.

I have had plenty of friends report their cars broken into in Vancouver. Personally, I'd worry about parking in the City with a car full of expensive gear and I don't think that throwing a blanket over everything is going to ease my worry.

Of course, I had all my gear stolen from my truck in downtown Seattle, too. That was in the Pioneer Square area, and maybe it would have been less likely to happen in other parts of town. Would it be as risky to leave your gear in your car while you go out for dinner in, say, Kitsilano as compared to East Vancouver? I would guess not but then again I don't know Vancouver.

Most of the break in's are done by junkies needing money for a fix

Like Kenford did get a gaurd...I do it all the time when I park near gastown/ GM place or when I ride my motorcycle late at night...pretty easy hey junkie want 5 bucks...

That being said no matter where you go someones always gonna want to steal your shit from rich punks in kits to junkies in east van or junkies who ride bikes across the bridge to N van...I dont think there is one place that is worse than the other...I dont go to Surrey though.

Gary your not going to get broke into on Robson or Denman or any othere main street just drive till you find parking...and contrary to Jordan theres nothing good across the bridge its just where old people go to die wink.gif

My car was broken into a few years ago at a Hotel on Robson Street downtown Vancouver, along with every other car with Washington plates that was parked in the hotel garage and lot (a total of 7 or 8 as I remember). All of the others were nice SUVs and caddy-style cars, mine was a POS chevy... it was hilarious, there was a trail of gear leading away from my truck. First, a left LaSportiva Makalu, then a sleeping bag, then a dromedary bag... miscelaneous stuff sacks... finally in the alley 1/2 block away the other Makalu boot. My only loss was the damage to my truck! Apparently the hoodlums have no use for outdoor gear because they took off with an armful but dropped everything. We reported to the Vancouver Police but basically they didn't do anything (no surprise).

Anyway, its anyone's guess why they only broke into the Washington rigs. Maybe you're better off not to cover up the gear... let 'em see that its a bunch of crap they don't want!

What freaked me out was the Canadian Immigration dood sitting behind the desk at the Peace Arch was wearing body armor.

That's to protect themselves from the poorly aimed shots from the Homeland Security fukwits when they start a blazing gun battle with some petty criminal trying to escape to Canada. The criminals are shooting south, it's Larry the Tool that's shooting north.

Good idea, Dave. I'll be sure to followup the pack recovery with a thorough probing of the thief. pitty.gif

make sure you use a metal shovel too, I hear the plastic ones are worthless in a street fight. hahaha.gif

and thanks for the suggestions jordop

• 4 weeks later...
Canadian beavers have been known to gnaw there own sacks off when cornered.

while doing research for a class, I found a research paper that had a study where beavers were put in wooden cages, strapped into parachutes and tossed out over remote wetlands. Upon landing, they just chew themselves out. snaf.gif This was done to reintroduce beaver into old ranges. That tidbit made the class worth-it.