Mt Erie Guidebook

EWolfe

Just got a copy as a gift.

Not to dis Dallas, but I was having a heck of a time finding my way through the beginning portion. I got frustrated, and finally tore out pages 1 - 8, 11 - 32, and now it is a lot easier to find stuff. It is a guidebook to climbing now. I really didn't need 30 pages of history, flora, fauna, lodgings, etc for such a small crag.

Now I just need to figure out the trails....

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a copy as a gift.

Not to dis Dallas, but I was having a heck of a time finding my way through the beginning portion. I got frustrated, and finally tore out pages 1 - 8, 11 - 32, and now it is a lot easier to find stuff. It is a guidebook to climbing now. I really didn't need 30 pages of history, flora, fauna, lodgings, etc for such a small crag.

Now I just need to figure out the trails....

Well now, you just got rid of all your emergency crag TP! If you get caught short you might have to sacrifice a sock.

I'm glad he has that info in there. But like you said, it doesn't help locate the climbs, so if you really don't care about that info, just take it out of the book and recycle it or keep it at home. It's not Dallas' fault that the trail system at Erie isn't very distinct or friendly for first-time users.

Erik, try this 3-pitch route next time you're there:

P.1 zig-zag (Or frogs in space if you are tough)

P.2 Undercover to the snag

P.3 Springboard

best route out there IMO.

my new "friend" lives down there, so I will be making trips more often...thanks for the info! thumbs_up.gif

His testimony on the inside of the back cover is **ahem** interesting, I was wondering what it took to get this excited about Erie, and now I know.

my new "friend" lives down there, so I will be making trips more often...thanks for the info! thumbs_up.gif

His testimony on the inside of the back cover is **ahem** interesting, I was wondering what it took to get this excited about Erie, and now I know.

See if you'd save all the stuff about flora and fauna you could impress your new friend with your knoledge of things other than rock climbing. As it stands your on your way to proving how one dimensional you are to her.

Of course I am assuming that it is a her. I have no advice if your, "friend," is a drunk male prostitue. wazzup.gif

I have to agree with Mr. E. I can appreciate Dallas' desire to create an "old school" guidebook, with hand drawn maps and topos, but some of the "trails" he describes cross 4th class terrain. My first few trips I took the dog along - I don't make that mistake anymore, unless I'm positive he can negotiate the terrain (he's good, but he's no Biscuit).

The guidebook is great - I appreciate all that Dallas has done in developing the crag and all the time spent writing the guidebook, but with a digital camera and microsoft publisher it could have been a lot better.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I'm going up there in the morning and woud love to know if they still have guides at the Erie store. If not I'll just do the usuall zig-zag springboard deal. Of course, I weigh 20 pounds heavier than the last time I did springboard... if the branch is still there after this weekend I'll post some pictures.