Best Resole in NW?

Geoffo

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Page, without a doubt. He's located in Fremont. He only does outdoor shoes, mountaineering boots, rock climbing shoes, etc.. The prices are even cheap. You can even mail them...he gets a ton of boxes every day in the mail. His web site is "www.davepagecobbler.com".

Oh, I forgot to mention...

Fremont is just north of Seattle. Also, if you take your boots/shoes to a store to get them fixed, then they just send them to Dave. I know he does all the REI repairs, and many other local shops too.

Dave page AKA The Butcher

Ramutas is good, down the street from feathered Freaks and REI,

I find that reasoleing is hit or miss, Both folks mentioned above have destroyed a pair and both have resurected a pair, but I onsighed my hardest crack in a pair done by ramuta. that really doesent mean jack though. From now on its The Rubber room in Bishop. www.rubberroom.com

I've heard several *negative* comments concerning Dave Page from guys at climbing shops, personally he has resoled 3 pairs of my Scarpas and I've had no problems. Maybe he has some people working for him that are not very skilled?

Yeah, yeah. Judging from my prior two posts, you'd think I was Dave page incognito. I've heard negative things about Dave Page too, but that's not the norm.

It's sort of like supply and demand. If a small company does awesome work, then they get referrals and press, and then they're swamped. To cope, they increase size, but with growing pains. Then they get negative referrals and press, and they shrink a little, until they reach an equilibrium. Every company has negative feedback, or else they'd take over the world.

I broke off a shoelace eye (closest to my toe) on my mountaineering boots...I caught it on a rock...I actually had a hole in my leather. Also, some stitching was wearing away, and the leather was separating near the heels. Anyway, I took them to Dave Page, and he (or one of his staff) gave me a new eye, bombered all the stitching, new insoles, and new shoelaces for $15 I think. I thought that was a pretty good deal. The next time I used the boots, the new eye broke off. I went back in and showed it to Dave Page, and he said the person who fixed it put the rivet in crooked. He said he'd personally fix them for free, and he did. He put in a more solid eye, and now they work awesome.

So you shouldn't base your decision on bad work and complaints, but rather on how those complaints and bad work was resolved. It's all in the customer service.

I've had very spotty service at Dave Page, although I understand that in the last couple of years his quality and consistency with climbing shoes has improved. I know that he does good work with hiking boots and mountaineering boots, unfortunately, he turned at least one pair of my climbing shoes and one pair of a friend's into hiking boots. Locally, Ramuta's is my best bet. They've been very consistent on my orders, and even rejuvenated a pair of Moccasyms, something I didn't believe could occur.

If you have the time, send the shoes south to the Rubber Room, formerly the cobblers of Wilson's Eastside Sports in Bishop, CA. http://www.rubberroomresoles.com/

A good friend of mine used to work for Dave Page, but broke off and started his own cobbler shop in Ballard. His name is Sean Sharpless and he owns Seattle Boot Works. I've taken him two pairs of rock shoes now and I'm very happy with the quality of work and the price. He is at 5903 24th Ave. NW, ph. 206-789-4094, or check it out at seattlebootworks.com. I've also had good work done at Ramutas. You couldn't pay me to take my shoes to Dave Page.

I have had trouble with resolers in the NW. I highly reccomend the Rubber Room in Bishop, CA. Suffer paying a little extra and not having your shoes for @10 days to 2 weeks. It beats having your shoes trashed and you have to get rid of them and buy a new pair. The guys at Rubber Room are friendly, do amazing work, and are reliable. They have "saved" my climbing shoes that other resolers said were impossible to repair. Check them out at http://www.rubberroomresoles.com/

I vote for John Ramuta. I have had friends whose shoes were ruined (shrunk even smaller then the original too-small) at Dave Page's. I heard that he has apprentice's do the work and that is why it is inconsistent, but that is just hearsay.

John Ramuta does a great job, and he is consciencious. When he did a pair of mirages for the first time (for me) he didn't charge me because they are different to resole. Instead he had me climb in them to give him feedback on how it went.

I think John has pick ups at both gyms in Seattle, or you can take shoes straight to his family's shop downtown.

hollyclimber