Pete Doorish, where are you?

Adventureboy

I have fantasizing about Cathedral peak as of late and would like to hear more about the area. Hopefully those of you who read this pathetic attempt to find info will firstly, laugh heartily and then point me in the correct direction.

Must know the quality (splitterness) of cracks, if there is a serious lichen issue, new routing potential blah blAH BLAH. oH YEAH, whats the deal withy the Black Pyramid and the Professor and Comet, from thw east side???

Nice flattering fotos, both yours and stillcrankin's. Figuring on going in there late summer. I was going to be content with lugging food & booze; now it looks like a rope, a rack, and about 50 CF cards will be needed as well.

Stillcrankin: Red Fred has your route on Amphitheater Mtn., not Cathedral proper............were there two?

Nice vintage pics, bet it was pretty wild in there in 1971. thumbs_up.gif

Yah, it was pretty cool. We didn't see anyone the whole trip. We'd just come from Washington Pass after doing Liberty Crack. The Washington Pass road was under construction and still a dirt road at the time. We had to skirt a gate to get up to the pass. THAT was cool. There wasn't anyone anywhere.

I'd love to have gone up there when it was still a trail and you had to hike ten miles to get there. Now THAT would have been wild.

• Like 1

My wife and I climbed Cathedral Peak on Sept 11, 2001. We climbed the southest buttress and it was one of the best lines I've ever done. On the summit it was a blue-bird day, without a plane in the sky . We spent another night and hiked out on the 12th. I think we were the last people in America to know about the Twin Towers.

Despite the association with terrorism, the Pasaytan Wilderness is still one of the most beautiful places on Earth. The Southeast Buttress is an amazing route. Every pitch was fun and challenging. We didn't bring any big cams, so we climbed a 10a finger crack just to the right of the 5.9 off-width. The walk off is a no brainer as long as you stay to the left.