Cut anchors at Rocky Butte

Knottygirl

So I know Rocky Butte is a bit on the ghetto side, but when its nice outside and you only have a few hours its a great place to throw out your rope.

So I was warming up on Blueberry Jam (easy 5.9 trad route) and once I got up to the anchors I saw that they had been hack sawed off. I glanced over at the routes next door and their anchors had been cut as well. I only saw about three sets of anchors cut (it must have been recent?)

madgo_ron.gif

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Semi annual "chop all the TR anchors" tradition at Rocky. Not sure who does it... could be local home owners sick of the climbers (doubtful), the kids at the bible college (possible) or most likely the same individual(s) that chop all the TR bolts all the time.

I wonder if they got the chains at the top of silver bullet?

Personally I never plan on any bolts at Rocky... just buy a few 50' pieces of webbing or cut up some old ropes and sling trees.

BillCoe or I or anybody else who climbs out there enough can explain it to you some time ((Bill would likely give a better explanation)... tradition likely isn't the best choice of words... more one person(s) perception of what is "safe" or "acceptable" at Rocky Butte.

Not saying I agree with it... more I am aware of the argument used for chopping and cutting.

Regardless Rocky is a cool place... looking forward to starting up PDX midweek climb night soon! thumbs_up.gif

The anchors out there have been repeatedly chopped. The climbs are easily TR'd. Why are we going round and round with this at the expense of the rock? Take some freaking webbing and be done with it.

What he said: Old news. Blueberry in particular has a nice tree and 5 other independant placements should you want that many. Fuenos was making fun of me once cause I used most of them! Olah Ireneo! Furthermore, it was boltless for the first 25 years I climbed out there, and those anchors you see got put in and taken out last year sometime, unless they got put in and taken out for the first time this year. (somebody do a search on this site if you want to revist last years thread on it).

I'm currently slacking on cleaning off that buttress (Jim calls it "Bill's Buttress") just West of Video, I have started to shovel and trundle but got sidetracked by the beautiful snow this year: however, brace yourself for the anchor/bolt question cause it would be nice to have them there at that location, and since I'm doing the work I get to chose and I'm leaning towards bolts. With some sweet beautiful chains.

I'll confer with everybody a long time b4 so no need to start arguing and screaming about nothing just yet. grin.gif Plenty of time later.

Place will probably be drytooled 20-30 times before we get to that point. That's another discussion too. laugh.gif

..... looking forward to starting up PDX midweek climb night soon! thumbs_up.gif

And I'm sure all PDX climbers are waiting breathlessly for you to do this for them. How have they survived without your organization!?!?!

rolleyes.gif

Be nice, John is great guy to hang with and everybody down here likes him. Unlike a lot of folks around here, dude really gets out and climbs! blush.gif

CBS, nobody leaves the webbing, Johns would use it to wipe the dripping slimy spoage off after they finish up.

Edited to add: Nice job getting out and getting some Knottygirl.

Edited by billcoe

..... looking forward to starting up PDX midweek climb night soon! thumbs_up.gif

And I'm sure all PDX climbers are waiting breathlessly for you to do this for them. How have they survived without your organization!?!?!

rolleyes.gif

Be nice, John is great guy to hang with and everybody down here likes him. Unlike a lot of folks around here, dude really gets out and climbs! blush.gif

CBS, nobody leaves the webbing, Johns would use it to wipe the dripping slimy spoage off after they finish up.

Edited to add: Nice job getting out and getting some Knottygirl.

Look Bill! You caught one! They are very very hard to catch... the mysterious and sly "Pax stealth edit"!!! Notice how the two posts differ!!!

And I'm sure all PDX climbers are waiting breathlessly for you to do this for them.

HOW HAVE THEY SURVIVED WITHOUT YOU!?!?!

thumbs_up.gif We're counting on you NOLSEY!

Yo Pax! (then again maybe Paxil might be more appropriate hahaha.gif) wazzup.gif Why all the hate brother? I've been staying out of all your threads ever since the Album of 2005 thread beration (I noticed you went back and edited it out)... why the hate? Don't tell me you dislike me for starting and maintaining a thread for local PDX climbers to come out and climb together... do you? wave.gif If so make sure you go hate on weekendclimber and Off White... they have threads too!

No body is saying PDX climbers were lost before I showed up... we are just trying to get some stoke going here for spring.

..... looing forward to starting up PDX midweek climb night soon! thumbs_up.gif

And I'm sure all PDX climbers are waiting breathlessly for you to do this for them.

HOW HAVE THEY SURVIVED WITHOUT YOU!?!?!

thumbs_up.gif We're counting on you NOLSEY!

john freih is my personal hero! i think about him when i go to the bathroom smile.gif