work in the modern world

knotzen

So, I'm back at work, sitting in a windowless office, my whole day's work done on a computer--the life of the modern-day information/knowledge worker.

Is this really a better way to provide housing, food, and clothing for myself? As opposed to a couple hundred years ago, when I would grow/raise my own food, perhaps sell some things I produce to others, or trade.

Now, somebody pwns my ass, to the point of what time I can start work, eat lunch, etc. In a more subsistence lifestyle gettin' by is more risky, but you yourself are responsible for getting up every morning and doing the work it takes to survive.

Consider the robin. Nobody tells a robin when to crap. They are their own GD bird, thankyouverymuch. The flip side is, they spend most of their life looking for food, and expend a lot of energy building a home in which to raise robinlets.

Is the tradeoff worth it? The risk of personal responsibility/ability/sufficiency for freedom from control by another?

Probably I wouldn't have the time or energy to go to the mountains if I were providing for myself. Putting in 40 hours a week does give a person a lot of freedom outside of work.

Just wonderin'...UNCAGE MY SOUL!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least you didn't step on a land mine today or get shot because you were from the 'wrong' clan or ethnic group..... thumbs_up.gif

However, I didn't have enough cash to go through the Starbucks drive-through this morning. thumbs_down.gif Life can be so cruel.**

** ironic sarcasm

Edited by knotzen

Well, at least you didn't step on a land mine today or get shot because you were from the 'wrong' clan or ethnic group..... thumbs_up.gif

metaphorically those are all hazards of the corporate world. substitute emotional uncomfort for physical.

Exactly right.

So, I'm back at work, sitting in a windowless office, my whole day's work done on a computer--the life of the modern-day information/knowledge worker.

Is this really a better way to provide housing, food, and clothing for myself? As opposed to a couple hundred years ago, when I would grow/raise my own food, perhaps sell some things I produce to others, or trade.

Now, somebody pwns my ass, to the point of what time I can start work, eat lunch, etc. In a more subsistence lifestyle gettin' by is more risky, but you yourself are responsible for getting up every morning and doing the work it takes to survive.

Consider the robin. Nobody tells a robin when to crap. They are their own GD bird, thankyouverymuch. The flip side is, they spend most of their life looking for food, and expend a lot of energy building a home in which to raise robinlets.

Is the tradeoff worth it? The risk of personal responsibility/ability/sufficiency for freedom from control by another?

Probably I wouldn't have the time or energy to go to the mountains if I were providing for myself. Putting in 40 hours a week does give a person a lot of freedom outside of work.

Just wonderin'...UNCAGE MY SOUL!

It is interesting to note that you chose robin in your analogy. Represents a need for family...