Moving to the Great Pacific Northwest!

TheBootfitter

Hey all!

My wife applied for a great job in Seattle, and after impressing everyone during the interview process, she was offered the position.

Many, many details and logistics have to be sorted out over the next few weeks… I plan to keep my current office job and telecommute for the time that we’re in Seattle. I'll probably look for a part-time bootfitting gig out there to keep up with the industry. Houses, living arrangements, moving, etc... All will happen quickly!

She will be starting her new job by mid-April, and I will move out there within 2-4 weeks after that. Lots of upcoming changes, to say the least!

I very much look forward to meeting some climbers out there and putting a few outings together!

Peace,

The Bootfitter

P.S. We're flying out next weekend to look for places to live. If anyone knows of resources (online or otherwise) with regard to local neighborhood information, etc... or if anyone cares to offer suggestions, I'm all ears. I've been there several times, but I don't know the residential neighborhoods. We're planning to rent for a few months at first, then consider other options once we know the area better. We've been focusing on Seattle proper and areas to the south and south-east of Seattle. Wife will be working in the 'Valley' close to I-5.

Here's a few things we're hoping for in an ideal world:

o Easy public transport or a commute of less than 30 minutes to the Kent area.

o Walking distance to a local food market

o Bike/Jogging trails nearby

o I'll be traveling a lot, so easy access to SEATAC would be ideal -- whether that is close proximity, public transportation, or shuttle services.

o 2+ Bedrooms with space for gear storage and brewing supplies

o Organic produce market nearby

o Ideally under $1500/month -- the cheaper the better, assuming it's a decent place. For the 'right' property, we would consider going higher.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

West Seattle is a bit of it's own fiefdom, well separated from the Seattle mainland, but for all the things you're looking for it hit's the mark. Specifically, the Admiral district is pretty hip with cool old craftsman cottages and views, lots of restaurants, bars and the like in walking distance... prob a little pricey though. Fauntleroy is much more quiet and residential. Actually, it's totally residential and not quite walking distance to anything other than Lincoln Park. Roxbury is... um, cheap. Crime is high, but that goes with the inexpensive cost of housing down there. It's very colorful, though. It's probably one of Seattle's most diverse multi-cultural neighborhoods with a heavy mix of SE Asian and Latinos. Good cheap food all around there, just don't get shot at night. SR-509 to the airport in twenty minutes. SR-599 to I-5 and down to Kent in less than 30 mins. Public transit in Seattle is a joke if you don't work in downtown Seattle, so good luck on that front.

I'd say Queen Anne, Fremont, or Wallingford are viable while you're renting. But the viaduct (SR-99) will shut down in the next year or two for construction. I don't know the time frame, so that could be years out. While it lasts, it's possible to get to Kent and the airport in 30 mins. Once it shuts down for construction, that commute will be ugly.

Look in Columbia City. yoda.gif

Yeah, Columbia City is viable. It's come a long way since I was a kid, a healthy business community is bringing the neighborhood back up. Beacon Hill or Seward Park might be a thought. All would constrain you to I-5 to get to the Kent Valley, though. Traffic anywhere on I-5 sucks these days, but at least entry points would be south of downtown. The next bottleneck heading south on I-5 would be towards Southcenter right about where you'd get off.

You are looking at the Des Moines, Federal Way, Auburn, Kent, Renton areas of living if you want 30 minutes to Kent and somewhat close to Seatac...with top choice being Federal Way, Des Moins. Do not look further north of 405 or Seatac--you will regret the commute.

Look in Columbia City. yoda.gif

Yeah, Columbia City is viable. It's come a long way since I was a kid, a healthy business community is bringing the neighborhood back up. Beacon Hill or Seward Park might be a thought. All would constrain you to I-5 to get to the Kent Valley, though. Traffic anywhere on I-5 sucks these days, but at least entry points would be south of downtown. The next bottleneck heading south on I-5 would be towards Southcenter right about where you'd get off.

You don't have to use I-5. Head south on Rainier and it'll turn into the Valley Freeway. I-5 is for suckers. wink.gif

Seward Park is pretty close and there's a PCC at 50th and Hudson.

Why not just move to Kent confused.gif

I used to live there and if you are working in Kent traffic won't be bad. It will shave off some time driving to the mountains (as long as it's Rainier or along I-90) and the rent is pretty low.

Two definates: stay away from I-405 (eastside), there's already too many people using that thing. stay away from the northend, traffic will suck for sure everyday, even on the weekends. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

...and there's a PCC at 50th and Hudson.

I thought you hated hippies. All those PCC shoppers, even if they have now shaved and cleaned up, used to be hippies. wink.gif

I hate hippies, and I know where they hang out. Don't push me.

As to living in Kent.

Why the fuck would you want to live in some god forsaken suburban hellhole. Living in the suburbs is what you do if you have a 50's mindset, a labotomy, and 10 childeren that you want to go to good schools (i.e. no darkies) wazzup.gif

Sounds to me like you might want to consider West Seattle, like toast said. Super-easy commute Seatac that'll enable you to avoid the traffic on I-5, and a reasonable commute to Kent on the days when I-5 is unavoidable, plus slightly cheaper housing and all of the amenities that you specified.

Thanks for the input, all!

As it turns out, my company prefers that I work out of our office on the southside of downtown Seattle, so both my wife and I will end up commuting. (Damn... we may have to take two cars out there afterall...)

Given this news, we're most likely going to focus the search on Kent, Seattle proper, and the areas in between -- Columbia City and West Seattle both sound like fair options.

Thanks again! Still open to more ideas if you've got them!

How far south of Seattle is the office? Is it more important to have a short commute to the office or an easy trip to the airport? I think you'll definitely get more house for your money as you go further south, but the flipside is that your commute to work will suck more and more if your office is anywhere close to downtown Seattle.

Do not listen to the hype on Kent. It is indeed a suburban hellhole. You'd only live there if it was the only place you could afford to buy a house.

Better choices: Columbia City or West Seattle. When you look at buying, you may look south of WS at White Center--it's an up and coming neighborhood. Ditto South Park, weird but cool. Most of SP is under the airport flight pattern so that's a consideration.

Don't let anyone tell you the Federal Way is a good idea either. If you're moving to Seattle, you want to enjoy Seattle, not live in faceless suburbs.

Finding a place to live in Seattle is a challenge for any PNW neophyte. Anywhere within the city limits of Seattle is expensive. As the gentrification of depressed neighborhoods within the city like the Central District, Columbia City and Georgetown have pushed out lower income families and even middle class workers who want to buy instead of rent have made the suburbs like Renton, Kent and Federal Way a possibility. More and more it is common for city workers to move out to the exurbs down in Pierce County and continue to commute over an hour to work.

I find it mildly offensive to read all the comments by people who hate the suburbs, but the reality is this is a climbing website and climbers are by nature elitist and often wealthy. I think it's understandable that urban hipsters hate the burbs. Singles vs. soccer moms. Brahs vs. breeders. Yes, I know, Ballard is the Paris of the west.

My suggestion is to move as close as you can to where you're wife will work and then make due with getting to the airport. I like Columbia City and parts of Beacon Hill and Georgetown. I think West Seattle is expensive and is as far from Belltown as Renton. If your wife is working on the 500 block of 5 Ave S in Seattle then these are good neigborhoods. There is also a 500 block of 5 Ave S in Kent and if that's where she's working then you should look at a place in Kent or Federal Way.

I just thought I'd shout out from my suburban hellhole where we have diversity, community and even a little culture.

yea even a little culture like Walmarts, best buy, Home depot,Mcdonalds, and community like robbery, rape and shootings, & don't forget the traffic.

Nothing like faceless middle america spreading like a ringworm of shrapnel across the Great Northwest.

However Burien is kinda nice.

But what do I know im a rich climbing elitist in my spacious 500sf studio.