[TR] Wanaka - New Zealand- 3/19/2006

Climb: Wanaka - New Zealand-

Date of Climb: 3/19/2006

Trip Report:

4427Wanaka_082.jpg

Last weekend myself and a few buddies, including a Tacoma Mountain Rescue guy who posts on here and is studying at my university, headed out to central part of the South Island for some cragging and to get info on alpine conditions for upclimbing climbs. Most of the area climbing is single-pitch sport, but a few really quality crack climbs can be found as well.

4427Wanaka_030.jpg

4427Wanaka_039.jpg

The area around Queenstown and Wanaka is a lot like central Oregon. Dry hills leading up to large peaks, and all kinds of outdoor activities (ski/hike/climb/bike/flyfish) within a short drive of town.

4427Wanaka_020.jpg

We managed to get in about 22 or 23 routes in a day + a morning of climbing before our hands were raw and our arms started to fail us.

I've been introducing some friends to climbing, but forgot the course on 'rope management.'

4427Wanaka_036.jpg

And choice free camping!

4427Wanaka_059.jpg

Gear Notes:

standard rack. Sharp stick to keep angry sheep and Keas at bay.

Approach Notes:

watch out for the electric fences!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice photos.

Looks like the Tombstone area. I remember that rock being

harsh on the hands. If you get to the north island, you should climb at Whanganui Bay. It's hard to find, but Bryce at the rock climbing shop in Wharepapa can give you directions/guide books. FYI the climbs around Wharepapa are alot like Smith--lots of nubbins.