Mt. Rainier Liberty Ridge

neoday2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot, I'll give em credit. I was up there a few weeks before them and walked away due to 3ft of windslab at the schrund. Although I couldn't imagine taking 5 days, I guess I could begin too when I take into account their wallowing up the glacier without skis and the weather that week. Got to do what you got to do I guess.

why can't people on this forum, or any forum for that matter, just give people credit where credit is due? Why does someone always have to go find something to discredit or downplay one's accomplishments?

Thats one thing that pisses me off about the online forum scene is the constant pissing matches that have to go on to fight for the meager scraps of internet sovereignty.

Have those of you who snub this guy actually climbed Liberty Ridge? If not, how can you say anything bad about it without it just being hearsay or thirdhand information.

Go climb it in the same conditions as he did and then say that it wasn't that big of a deal.

As far as his publicity goes, yeah he's got a website. Ed Viesturs has a website, does that make him less? Both make a profit off of talks and slideshows, I see nothing wrong with that. If he chooses to sell himself or his experiences in that manner, who are you to judge? He's accomplished more in the last few years than most do in their lifetimes.

So what I'm saying is this...give the guy a little credit where credit is due, and don't be so quick to judge. I certainly envy him and would love to get the chance to do half the stuff he's ever done.

Neal decided to try and make a living out of climbing. This calls for a lot of shameless self promotion. It's the same deal for anyone who tries to make a living as an artist. Talent is one thing, but promotion is the real key to success. He's ambitious, big deal.

Clearly, climbers aren't his market, nor who the newscaster was aiming for. Neal's pushing the motivational speaker thing. It must be a common pursuit for Seven Summiteers, last I looked it seemed like that was Lummox's intended Annabelle Bond's current gig too.

So yeah, the hype and handwaving is amusing, but it's a solid (if not extreme) achievement. I'm sure I'd post a TR here so ya'll could tell me how bitchen I was.

Go climb it in the same conditions as he did and then say that it wasn't that big of a deal.

Alright. In April 1995 I did this same thing with Radical Radford and some friends. We got to Thumb but didnt summit. There was no media attention. At the time doing this kind of trip was no big deal. If anything, Lib Ridge in early season is easier technically than later, so if you get a weather window and you have lots of free time, might as well go for it.

That said, I think what Neal and buds did was great! Its especially significant if you are from the East coast of Midwest, where climbing Rainier anytime is viewed as a significant accomplishment - they don't have glaciers out East, let alone anything much above treeline. Taking the time to come in from out-of-state in early season when you know you'll likely fail due to weather anyway takes guts.

Edited by Alex

We "failed" because we didnt get a long enough weather window, just like anyone else "fails" on Rainier in the winter. Besides the weather there was no other difficultly. Have you done the route? I mean, in early season its just a stroll. I'll always remember how we just walked across the completely crackless and smooth Carbon. It was actually one of the most fun trips I've ever done, though

I wish I could climb something newsworthy. cry.gif

I must agree that it is a little funny this guy takes two days longer than most parties on a moderate route and is raved about in the news like some Vietnam war hero. rolleyes.gif

What's next for him, a winter ascent of MOUNT HOOD? hellno3d.gif

Looks like a good climb, just not newsworthy though. thumbs_up.gif

I see what looks like ski tracks starting from above Thumb Rock, but they go into the shade. It's hard to tell. Maybe Mr. Potatohead Skier will tell us?

Chuck- that's Thumb Rock to the left of the high ski tracks. I know that the saddle at the upper edge of Thumb Rock is 10,775'. I hope those skier dudes had their climbing permits!

I must agree that it is a little funny this guy takes two days longer than most parties on a moderate route and is raved about in the news like some Vietnam war hero.

Yeah, well 5 days of postholing up 9000 feet of mountain takes a lot of....determination!