Saint Helens Re-Opens!!!

barkernews

Looks like the mountain's opening again!!!!! bigdrink.giffruit.gif

Finally, a chance for skiers to catch some sick freshies and for snowmobilers to (hopefully) rocket over the crater rim and plunge into the center of the earth... yellaf.gif

VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) - Officials at the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument say a trail to the rim of the crater may

be reopened this year. That would offer climbers a view of the domebuilding eruption that began in the early fall of 2004. Trails

above 48-hundred feet have been closed since then because officials feared that steam blasts could hurl rocks into the air. So far no decision has been made, but last month officials began accepting conditional climbing reservations. The trail extends from Climber Bivouac to the south rim of the gaping -shaped crater left by the eruption of St. Helens on May 18th, 1980. Monument manager Tom Mulder says interest is high, and reopening the trail could provide valuable learning opportunities if safety can be assured. The climbing season traditionally begins on May 15th, and the number of permits historically has been limited to 100 a day, half by reservation and half by a daily lottery.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like the mountain's opening again!!!!! bigdrink.giffruit.gif

Finally, a chance for skiers to catch some sick freshies and for snowmobilers to (hopefully) rocket over the crater rim and plunge into the center of the earth... yellaf.gif

VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) - Officials at the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument say a trail to the rim of the crater may

be reopened this year. That would offer climbers a view of the domebuilding eruption that began in the early fall of 2004. Trails

above 48-hundred feet have been closed since then because officials feared that steam blasts could hurl rocks into the air. So far no decision has been made, but last month officials began accepting conditional climbing reservations. The trail extends from Climber Bivouac to the south rim of the gaping -shaped crater left by the eruption of St. Helens on May 18th, 1980. Monument manager Tom Mulder says interest is high, and reopening the trail could provide valuable learning opportunities if safety can be assured. The climbing season traditionally begins on May 15th, and the number of permits historically has been limited to 100 a day, half by reservation and half by a daily lottery.

yellaf.gifrockband.gif Hopefully only the operator... a snowmachine would be some sweet booty to score yellaf.gifthumbs_up.gif

Mother's day! fruit.gif

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You might need to save your $15.00 for some revamped permit program:

Mount St. Helens Is Currently Closed to Climbing

Updated: 31 May 2006 - Mount St. Helens is currently closed to climbing due to volcanic activity.

USDA Forest Service officials have temporarily suspended issuing advance reservations for climbing Mount St. Helens. Monument officials are currently evaluating changes to the current two-step process where climbers first obtain a reservation and then purchase their permit at a later date. “As we move toward reopening climbing we are looking at simplifying the process to combine the reservation and permit purchase in a single transaction,” said Tom Mulder, Monument Manager. “We are working hard to develop a system that will serve climbers and increase the efficiency of our climbing program. In order to focus our services on the ground where they need to be, we are also looking at the use of a third party vendor to operate the permit system,” Mulder added.

Mount St. Helens Climbing Program Facts

• Mount St. Helens Climbing remains closed and no date for reopening has been announced.
  • When the reservation system is reopened, climbing reservations and purchase will be offered through a third party vendor as a single transaction. A per permit service fee will be charged.
  • Under the new system, existing reservations for dates after climbing resumes will be given priority and reservation holders will be contacted first and given an opportunity to purchase their permits in advance.
  • Specific details as to how the reservation and permit program will operate are still being worked out.

The real scoop (no pun intended for prior post)

• 4 weeks later...

I just got this email from the mt st helens climbing info. people. They're sending this email out to people who made advanced permit reservations this spring. Looks like it's opening on July 21st for climbing, permits are $22:

Mount St. Helens Climbing Reservation Holders will have a Limited-Time to

Confirm and Purchase Climbing Permits (for their reserved dates only) before

remaining Permits are Sold to the General Public

The Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument is planning to reopen climbing

beginning

July 21, 2006.

Between July 7 and July 12, 2006 any persons who already have confirmed

reservations for July 21 and later will have an opportunity to purchase their

reserved climbing permits in advance.

Starting July 13, reservations not purchased in advance will be cancelled and

all permit dates will be available for purchase through the Mount St. Helens

Institute on the Active.com website.

What a total scam! I would hope this would include a parking lot for climbers (in winter) since the snowmobilers take up the larger lot. I will make it a point to not head down that way. I am sure snowmobilers can still go to the top and only have to pay for a sno Park permit next season.

I agree about this being a scam.We started down this road of permits more than twenty years ago.

Now most younger climbers and hikers think it is just the norm.

I just do not seem to give a """"" any more I guess that is kind of sad, I just play the game.

I am also sure there are tons of people that think we can not survive with out fees.

One good thing Washington got rid of the five dollar day use fee in state parks . Thats a good thing.

Yes, it is official. St. Helens will open July 21st. The fee has been increased to make the permit system more "efficient" by introducing a private contractor -- a so-called non-profit called Mt. St. Helens Institute. I was at Jack's restaurant yesterday and was told by the cashier there that, according to the new system, you will book a permit on the internet and pay by credit card. Then you print out the receipt and take it to Jack's and get a 24 hr climbing permit. How this makes it more efficient is beyond me. I wonder who is behind the "non-profit" St. Helens Institute who will be collecting a $7 service fee to run this new racket. This $7 service charge is on top of the old climbing fee of $15 hence the $22. I am assuming this will be in addition to the NW Forest Pass required to park at Climbers Bivouac TH.

Time to dash off a new letter to the newspaper and my representative about the usurpation of public lands.