Snow in southern Oregon

barjor

I am thinking about taking the trip south to Mt McLaughlin this weekend but I am not to sure about the snow conditions and avalanche danger in the area From photos it looks like it would be pretty safe as long as I stay on the ridge. Anyone have any fresh info or otherwise useful input? The park service reports that there is 6 feet of snow at the gate where 3650 and Hwy 140 meet.

Thanks

Jorgen

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a ton of snow down here compared to last year when I walked the PCT from 140 to the McLoughlin junction about this time.

Are you going to ski in? There will probably be tracks from the summit snopark to the summer trailhead on the old road - I think they call it the "lower canal trail" in the winter - but you will be on your own from there. Thick trees and no way to even see the mountain 'til you get to treeline. You really have to know where you are going.

You might want to consider starting from the 4 mile lake snopark and going up the road from there to the summer trailhead. It is longer but may be easier going since the road will probably be packed down by snowmobilers.

My plans are to use snowshoes and hike the 3 miles from the gate to the trailhead on Rd 3650. From that point on I will use Compass and GPS to find the mountain. I was there last year about this time but then it was only a foot or so of snow