[TR] La Grave France Steep Skiing- 3/3/2006

Climb: La Grave France Steep Skiing-

Date of Climb: 3/3/2006

Trip Report:

Just got back from an incredible week of steep skiing in La Grave, France. The place is phenomenal! There is a tram that climbs over 7,000 vertical feet, providing access to 100% backcountry terrain. There is no ski patrol, grooming, avalanche control, or the like. It's full-on ski mountaineering without all the work, as only the Alps can deliver. Had the incredible opportunity to ski with Doug Coombs, world renown extreme skier and totally cool dude. All in all a week I will never forget.

Trip report is here.

Gear Notes:

Skis, harness, rope, shovel, beacon, probe, guide, juevos grandes.

Approach Notes:

Plane to Lyon, France and buses to La Grave. Stay at La Chaumine hotel -- it's the best!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet!

"There is no ski patrol, grooming, avalanche control, or the like."

Due, no doubt, to the fact that non-Americans seem to be able to take responsibility for themselves and don't hire a lawyer and try to sue someone(anyone) if they get into trouble.

I bet you tightened your bindings down for this trip, eh? wink.gif

smile.gif Sure did! Had enough of that when I was out with you. It's quite a place, that's for sure. You'd go crazy there -- there is endless terrain to explore, not too mention launching off spots for tours and plenty of huts. I'm gonna head back again, that's for sure. I know the area pretty well now too.

• 2 weeks later...

This is indeed a very,very sad day. frown.gif I've posted elsewhere, the following:

NO! That just can't be true. It can't be. What a fantastic guy. I just attended his steep skiing camp in March and had the unbelievable pleasure of skiing with him for a day. As I said in my post, it was a day I will never forget -- truly incredible. I was drinking beers with a friend of mine last night who was also at the camp and we were talking about how great a time we had in La Grave with Doug. Then, this morning, I hear this news. This is beyond sad. He was a totally cool, super enthusiastic, go for it guy. As one of the other guides said on the trip, "Doug has the enthusiasm and energy of a 12-year old." Every run, no matter how many times he had done it, was still new and exciting. His attitude towards life and love of the mountains and skiing, perhaps even more than his legendary skiing skill, was for me the thing that made the day so special.

La Grave is a very small place and a tight community. I am sure that folks over there are devastated, not too mention how his wife and baby boy must feel.