[TR] Snoqualmie- slot 3/12/2006

ilookeddown

Climb: Snoqualmie-slot

Date of Climb: 3/12/2006

Trip Report:

Adam and I decided to do the slot today. We started out at 6am and skinned up from lot 1 @ Alpental. A ski/boot track was established most of the way. I had never done this line before but it seemed very tame. I guess the conditions were very good. We rappelled the first 10M to check the stability and found it very stable. We got back to the car at around 9:45. We found no ice on the ski and I do recommend it if you haven’t done it before.

47448-7-2_146-med.jpg

47448-7-2_153-med.jpg]

Edited by ilookeddown

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on getting it early, because we skied it around 1:00 PM and (besides your party) there were seven others that skied it before it us and four more after. Super nice snow (deep powder) and a great line. The Phatom Slide with the waterfall direct variation was super nice too, heavy but fun with pretty good coverage over the waterfall.

For anyone that has not skied this before, I suggest not climbing the Slot (like described in the Volken book) but dropping in from the top. Wallowing up the Slot in knee deep powder was work!

I think we were the second group down the run today; it was nice to have the slope pre-tested! (although obviously we checked out the stability before committing to it). Crooked Couloir also had plenty of fresh powder, good stuff. Unfortunately we skiied Phantom late in the day after it crusted up, so we didn't even look at the waterfall option.

How steep is this coulior? I don't buy guidebook hyperbola...

Maybe 45 degrees at the very top and 40 the rest of the way? The weekend's deep powder made the run very forgiving, but in firmer conditions it would be a different experience altogether.

My wife and I got first tracks on the Crooked on saturday.

Looked like a solo skier put in the skin track on friday, then

skied straight down the phantom. Sometime saturday before

us 3 people skied the slot and exited via the ridge in the Snow Lake direction. The upper part of the Crooked had

some wind effect which made the snow seem less deep, but was still nice. I was surprised how moderate the upper 2/3rds of the Crooked is. The last section which connects with the Slot was steeper, deeper, and sweet. We skinned and boot-packed out the normal exit, then skied off towards Source Lake. The lower slopes were classic potatoes.

I'd say it was a hidden run before the guidebook. I bet it sees 50 times as many people now. (based on nothing but the fact that people are competing for fresh tracks down it these days, whereas I never saw any tracks in it in 3 times there prior to the guidebook).

Alright people, let's get serious. See the google summary of the second hit for an example of how best to present this ski:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=slot+couloir&btnG=Google+Search

"Slot Couloir

The Slot Couloir is dangerous, has consistently poor skiing conditions, and getting up Mt Snoqualmie from the Alpental parking lot takes lots of ..."

I know that at least three of the other top ten hits can be fixed accordingly by current cc.com members... Get on it!

You know they call it the Phantom because people disappear in there every few years. I heard a rumor that there are some pits which get hidden under the snow in the winter, so the approach is something analogous to a crevasse-field...

Also heard that Alpental/Summit at Snoqualmie and the W.D.O.T. just agreed on a new plan to reduce traffic delays resulting from avalanche activity and rockslides in the future. The two decommisioned 105 mm howitzers will be aimed at suspect slopes and unfortunately all of the normal approaches to the Slot Couloir will be vulnerable and subject to control fire...