Mt. Hood Meadows closing April 16

Knottygirl

I'm curious if anybody else is aggravated that meadows is closing almost a month early! I've heard rumors that the forest service is forcing them to because of an enviromental violation. I recieved a letter form the VP of Meadows saying its because it cost them too much to run empty chairs and nobody rides or skis after March. madgo_ron.gif

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif

I actually bought a lift ticket once this year. I was so embarassed I didn't even take the backing off and put it on a wire to hang from my jacket. After the trip I immediately threw it away and mentioned none of the affair to anyone I ski with. I'm only posting this as part of my 12 step recovery plan...admitting it is the first step.

Lift skiing is fun. A lot of fun. I had a phenomenal, deep day today on the lifts, bombing down steep, loaded terrain. I repeat lift skiing is fun.

That said, who wants to be skiing the lifts in April? April is one of those months where you can't figure out what you want do because there are so many options. Steep corn skiing? Check. Long ski tours with easy travel? Check. Alpine climbing? Check. Sunny cragging? Check. Lift skiing falls by the wayside once the storms stop rolling in. But while it's storming, you can't beat a quiet day on the lifts!

I'll admit buying a ticket today. With snow conditions such as they are, you really can't beat a day on the upper bowl at Skibowl, at least for Hood. Seems most times it is raining there as I drive by. Add a shorter drive from pdx, less expensive ticket, and no lines makes for a great day.

• 2 weeks later...
Lift skiing is fun. A lot of fun. I had a phenomenal, deep day today on the lifts, bombing down steep, loaded terrain. I repeat lift skiing is fun.

That said, who wants to be skiing the lifts in April? April is one of those months where you can't figure out what you want do because there are so many options. Steep corn skiing? Check. Long ski tours with easy travel? Check. Alpine climbing? Check. Sunny cragging? Check. Lift skiing falls by the wayside once the storms stop rolling in. But while it's storming, you can't beat a quiet day on the lifts!

If you have weekdays off, lift skiing is rad. Skiing at the area on a weekend, sux, though.