[TR] Another day in Paradise...well Mazama- 3/7/2006

tytyler

Climb: Another day in Paradise...well Mazama-

Date of Climb: 3/7/2006

Trip Report:

The wife and I headed down to Rainier for the day before this recent storm front came in. It was completely overcast from the moment we got there, but very light snow and light winds.

We headed up onto the west face of Mazama and did some yo-yo boarding. After a few runs the wind picked up, as did the snow and before you know it, conditions were no longer pleasant.

Dug 2 pits on the way up and neither one resulted in any quality shears. There was about 6-8 inches of fairly new high density snow (fist) that seemed to be bonding well to the weekends sun(?) crust. Below that there was about 20-30cm of 4F that sheared with a Q2 on the shovel shear and a score of 21(1 shoulder shot) on the compression with a Q3.

About a meter deep there was an extremely hard crust (rain crust?)that took a good shot from the shovel to break through, the snow on top slide cleanly but took me almost jumping on the column. Below the crust there was a softer layer of snow from probably sometime in FEB (I was gone for the first 2 months of this year, so I'm not sure).

The wind was coming in from the south, right up Paradise Valley so I'd be careful on those loaded slopes over the next few days.

Anyway, good turns until the storm rolled in.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days