him,he was holding down a viola chair for the Pittsburgh

Symphony Orchestra.Quite an accomphished cat.Don't know

if he's been climbing lately but I'm sure he's good off

the couch.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One time I visited Wedgewood Boulder with a copy of Climbing in North America and compared the picture to the real thing. I'm pretty sure it's the same rock.

Wolf Bauer was probably the first person to use the rock for organized climbing practice, in the mid-1930s. That's where he took the Boy Scouts who later became the Ptarmigan Climbing Club.

Here's a photo caption from REI: 50 Years of Climbing Together by Harvey Manning. Sounds like Wedgewood Boulder has a "colorful" history:

Variously called "Big Rock," "Glacier Boulder," and "Wedgewood Rock," this large glacial erratic was the scene of many early rock climbing practices such as the one shown which occurred about 1935. Climbers and property owner coexisted peacefully until 1948 when Fred Beckey and Pete Schoening were chased off for reasons unknown. The chagrined climbers returned that night and painted the entire rock yellow with red polka dots. For some reason the locals liked it and to this day regularly repaint the boulder, although without the polka dots (Lloyd Anderson collection).

When I visited the rock a couple summers ago, it looked like the last coat was gray paint. It was slippery and not too good for climbing.