Wedgwood boulder

Squid

Perhaps it we try to present more of an image that says "alpine hardman climber training for the big mountain send" and stay away from the "smelly long-haired burglar hippy boulderer" image we can get it reopened and the law repealed. Everyone knows that alpine climbers have a much better rep.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh this is good-

"In 1970, Wedgwood Rock acquired a new reputation. Some neighbors complained to the city council about hippies who frequented the rock. Complainants reported that, "dirty, long-haired, bearded individuals" (Lake City Star) loitered around the rock, climbed it, and disturbed the neighborhood. Climbers were accused of harassing citizens, taking drugs while on the rock, and using abusive language. The petitioners expressed the belief that Big Rock was being used by hippies to identify homes to burglarize. In October 1970, the city council took the situation seriously and passed an ordinance making it a crime to climb Big Rock, punishable by a fine of $100. "

That is good. Never knew I was such a badass or kept the company of such evil sorts. Interestingly enough not a single resident ever came out from behind the curtains to say "Hi, Goodbye, Please Leave, Fuck You, or What are you doing". They just assumed the worst & cried to uncle. We wuz just climbin' it.

Paranoia. A similar stink was raised about the skate park that is slated to go into Dahl Park, not too far from the Wedgwood Boulder. I met some older folks in the hood thought that it was just going to attract a bunch of drug using deviant punks and were thus trying to get it nixed from the remodel plans.

The peolpe I've met at skate parks in Seattle are predominantly people just trying to get some exercise and have some fun doing something they wouldn't otherwise do because they don't want to do it on the streets. The best ones were guys in their 40s who learned to skate in the 70s (in people's pools), grew up, got jobs, had kids and up til now didn't have a place to skate. Ever since Seattle started building these parks, these dudes are coming out in force, shredding up the big concrete bowls and showing the 20 year olds what it's all about. They even bring their 5 year olds with them to learn. Fun for the whole family!

Perhaps it we try to present more of an image that says "alpine hardman climber training for the big mountain send" and stay away from the "smelly long-haired burglar hippy boulderer" image

too late. I'll be setting up shop soon as it dries.

Perhaps it we try to present more of an image that says "alpine hardman climber training for the big mountain send" and stay away from the "smelly long-haired burglar hippy boulderer" image we can get it reopened and the law repealed. Everyone knows that alpine climbers have a much better rep.

What everyone really knows is that dope smoking hippies can't boulder.

"Yeah, brah, I'm just gonna, like, kick it on my pad under this tree and listen to some sweet Phish jams until the temps cool down. Plus I think I lost one of my climbing shoes on the approach."

"Dude, we're 50 feet from the car!"

"I know. Trippy, huh?"

etc....

MisterMo,

Great shot!! Is that Jim Langdon?

Weren't you with me at the Seattle city council meeting where they passed the ordinance against climbing at Wedgwood rock? I know Dick Emerson and Willi Unsoeld were. Actually, I remember Willi speaking. He said something like, "Climbers have an itch. An itch in their fingertips that they MUST scratch....." He sort of lost everyone when he went off on that tangent. I think it was a little too esoteric for the city council at the time.

The "dirty, long-haired, bearded individuals" they were referring to were people like Mark Weigelt, Steve Ansell, and a few others that will remain unnamed (maybe yourself? certainly not me!). I remember listening to Steve Ansell rant and rave at the top of his lungs whenever he'd fail on a problem.

I drove by there not too long ago and was amazed at how much the foilage has been cut back. What a great place to boulder. Nice quiet neighborhood. Easy approach. Excellent rock. Hmmmmmmmm...... How much is the fine??

Here's a photo of it in Chris Jones "Climbing in North America" p 143. The caption indicates that the boulder was buried/destroyed, but it seems pretty obvious that this is the "Wedgewood Boulder" with that ramp up the sunny South side.

553633-big-rock.jpg

553633-big-rock.thumb.jpg.39567aa954f07204aa811e3ffb2625dd.jpg

No, not Langdon, dig deeper..........

My enduring recollection of the City council hearing was Dick Emerson getting up to speak and introducing himself as "Mr. Pat Emerson". He got quite a laugh with that. Pat was then president of the League of Women Voters and, as you can imagine, frequently gave the city fathers well-deserved hell.

Good God, MisterMo sir, could that have been........have been..........you??

After your prompting, I do remember Dick getting up and introducing himself as Mr Pat Emerson. At the time she (Pat) was very active in city politics and was easily recognized. Yes, I remember the laughter. Pat is STILL active in city politics, though not as much as she used to be. I'm sure there are still plenty of people who's nut-sacks shrivel at the very thought of the verbal beating they took from her.

Here's a photo of it in Chris Jones "Climbing in North America" p 143. The caption indicates that the boulder was buried/destroyed, but it seems pretty obvious that this is the "Wedgewood Boulder" with that ramp up the sunny South side.

553633-big-rock.jpg

I think that is a different rock than the Wedgewood boulder.

Edit: Hmmm... Seems I might be wrong. LINK

dcp01149.jpg <--2001

Edited by Alpinfox

553633-big-rock.jpg

so the guy in white shirt and dark pants, facing away from the camera up top....sure looks like he's takin a whiz up there! yellaf.gif

(From the Alpinfox-linked article) It was similar to one larger rock near Coupeville on Whidbey Island, and to Four-Mile Rock off Magnolia Bluff.

and one in Mill Creek at the old airport and the one in a trailer park across from the veterinarian clinic on the way to the Edmonds ferry and the one in about a hundred feet of water about a half mile north of the Edmonds oil dock,...

627MillCreek.JPG

Old Mill Creek airport.