Northeast.

(Ord. 99363 Section 1(a), 1970.)

SMC 12A.54.010 Climbing prohibited.

It is unlawful for anyone to climb or be upon that certain rock or

boulder known as the "Wedgewood Rock" located within the public street

area at the intersection of Northeast 72nd Street and 28th Avenue

Northeast.

I have a hard time believing that they would enforce this ordinance.

Northeast.

I'm glad to see that the City is focused on the important issues of the day.

Northeast.

I have a hard time believing that they would enforce this ordinance.

I bouldered all over that thing when I lived a few blocks north of there in the early 90's. Nobody said a word to me over about 5 years time.

Let's do a citizen's inititive to repeal that ordnance! If Tim Eyman can do it, why not a Squid?

By all means.............

5164Wedgewood_Rock.jpg

Old thread # 1

Old thread # 2

Sign me up for any efforts to get the city fathers to see the light. I was part of the original, doomed attempt to have climbing there not be illegal. It would be fun to go back and win.

I've bouldered on it on and off over the past 5 years and no one has ever called the cops on me or bothered me... Course I was by myself and not with a group of beer drinking, dope smoking boulderers chanting "SEND! SEND! SEND!" in someones "parking strip" '

evils3d.gif

/me snickers...

I drive by there once in a while. I always thought that it was part of somebody's property and climbing on it would be considered tresspassing. Led me to think it was a waste that climbers probably did not live there.

This thing is on public property? It's like 20 ft. from somebody's living room.

Why aren't there more of these things around? Seems weird to only have one in the area.

In the early 1900s Edmond Meany, a professor at the University of Washington (also an early President of the Mountaineers) lead expeditions to the rock

yelrotflmao.gif

In the early 1900's a trip out to the Rock involved a hike from somewhere...no houses, no streets, no stupid ordinances. It probably made a pretty nice day wandering out there through some fairly big timber & on up to view ridge for a view of the lake. Probably not to dissimilar from going up to Flattop in Anchorage in the afternoon.

The kids in the neighborhood periodically hang a knotted rope off the tree adjacent to the south side and have at it. Given that it is on someone's property I just pat it as I go by on a run. It's pretty mossy these days.

Orginally it was called Picnic Rock and was a popular outing spot on weekends from Seattle. In the 40's when the development was going it the plans were to dynamite it and cart it off. A groundswell of public support nixed that idea. The dry cleaners on 35th Ave NE, across from the Grateful Bread has a little history of newspaper clippings that is an interesting read.

Oh this is good-

"In 1970, Wedgwood Rock acquired a new reputation. Some neighbors complained to the city council about hippies who frequented the rock. Complainants reported that, "dirty, long-haired, bearded individuals" (Lake City Star) loitered around the rock, climbed it, and disturbed the neighborhood. Climbers were accused of harassing citizens, taking drugs while on the rock, and using abusive language. The petitioners expressed the belief that Big Rock was being used by hippies to identify homes to burglarize. In October 1970, the city council took the situation seriously and passed an ordinance making it a crime to climb Big Rock, punishable by a fine of $100. "