2005 Information

Mike_Gauthier

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stats:

There were 8,972 registered climbers in 2005. We again see a continued trend in climber registration numbers. Over the past five years, those numbers have been steadily decreasing (table 1). Of the 8,972 registered, 3,879 were part of a guided trip, while 5,093 climbed independently. Table 1 lists those statistics in comparison to other years. Independent climbers have a 44% success rate; guide service averages a 60% success rate.

Here is a list of yearly totals since 2000:

Year: 2000 = 13,114

Year: 2001 = 11,874

Year: 2002 = 11,313

Year: 2003 = 9,897

Year: 2004 = 9,251

Year: 2005 = 8,972

I'm curious, why the decline? The Mountaineers have seen a steady drop in registrations for their Basic climbing courses. Some of that was driven by the war. Tacoma, Everett and Bellingham have all drawn from the neighboring military bases in the past. Deployments to the Middle East are a sensible driver for declines in our branches, but Seattle has also seen a noticeable drop. That and the drop in the number of climbing permits at Rainier make me wonder if there a similar national trend. What's driving all of this?

I'm curious, why the decline? The Mountaineers have seen a steady drop in registrations for their Basic climbing courses. Some of that was driven by the war. Tacoma, Everett and Bellingham have all drawn from the neighboring military bases in the past. Deployments to the Middle East are a sensible driver for declines in our branches, but Seattle has also seen a noticeable drop. That and the drop in the number of climbing permits at Rainier make me wonder if there a similar national trend. What's driving all of this?

Creepy climbing instructors.

• 3 weeks later...

Creepy climbing instructors.

Definitely the case with Boealps. grin.gif

Thanks for keeping up on all this (I realize it's your job, but props are due anyway).

Thanks... but... the blog was established based on a little frustration and an urge to do something more/better.

We'll probably try to do more during the summer when there are more climbing rangers to help w/ reports, etc. And as always, I'm way into good suggestions or information you (the climber) may provide. So... if you've got em, email them to me.

Now, if you want job security you need to quit scaring off all the climbers. cool.gif

Trust me, we're (I'm) not trying to scare anyone off! hellno3d.gif Watching the number of climbers decline has been of concern to me and others. Many of us wonder if outdoor recreation has taken a turn towards more day use type activities. confused.gif