Good cheap sleeping bag

plexus

So after having my old North Face bag for close to 12 years it is time to retire it. It still keeps me warm but it is so old it now smells like moon.gif I can smoke out anybody regardless of how many times I wash it.

So any recommendations for a 15-degree bag. Thinking of down since I live in a dry climate now and it seems like the gortex technology has gotten it down to one drop of water isn't going to ruin it any longer. Looking for sumthing around $120 or so.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using a sythetic SlumberJack bag for a while. It's rated at 0 degrees and probably a pound heavier than any down bag rated the same, but for $85 I can handle the extra weight. Been thinking about getting a light 30-40 degree down bag for summer though because I end up sleeping on top of my bag since it's so warm. thumbs_up.gif

You don't have to shell out big money for a good bag. I've gone through 3 (on #4 now)synthetic 15deg bags in the last dozen years...Marmot wizard (currently), TNF cats meow, Sierra Des. wild bill (two of these).

I never paid retail, getting three of the four from Campmor end of season model year clearance sales, twice with a free 3/4 thermarest thrown in the deal, and paid about $125 avg.

Brand is more or less unimportant. I like the hood features on SD better than the others I've had, but polarguard is polarguard and nylon is nylon.

You can't expect a synthetic bag to last as long as down. My FF 20deg bag is going strong 8 years later and I expect it will last another 10 no problem. But I ain't taking a down bag up a big route in above or near freezing temps.

I know I spent at least 250 nights (probably closer to 400) in the first SD, before it lost too much loft. And I totally neglected that one, just abused it while working hoods in the woods.

Never pay retail.

North Face Cat's meow: synthetic, but only 2 Lbs. 10 oz., and seems warmer than the 20 degree rating. I use it for fall, winter and spring in the PNW. Big advantage over down is you can dry your wet clothes inside the synthetic sleeping bag. This bag has a roomy, comfortable shape too.

• 2 weeks later...