[TR] Mt. Cook Ntl. Park- Sebastopol Bluffs 3/5/2006

Climb: Mt. Cook Ntl. Park-Sebastopol Bluffs

Date of Climb: 3/5/2006

Trip Report:

4427Mt_Cookie_Trip_060.jpg

Friday and Saturday called for good weather across much of the South Island. I borrowed a car, and brought two buddies along for some scenic multipitch climbing near Mt. Cook.

4427Mt_Cookie_Trip_076.jpg

We climbed everything from 1 to 5 pitch routes, trad and bolted, from 5.6-5.11. Both of my friends got to do their first leads as well!

4427Mt_Cookie_Trip_087.jpg

I had to chase off some aggressive Kea parrots after they woke us up one morning and tried to eat some nearby rubber bicycle seats. These things put camp-robbers to shame!

4427Mt_Cookie_Trip_005.jpg

The scenery was great, rolling dry hills like Eastern Washington that suddenly turned into glaciated peaks 10-12,000' high.

4427Mt_Cookie_Trip_055-1.jpg

4427Mt_Cookie_Trip_099-1.jpg

4427Mt_Cookie_Trip_045.jpg

Gear Notes:

Standard set of gear, lots of runners, as some pitches are quite long.

Approach Notes:

5 mins through the field from the town of Mt. Cook

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That last photo looks like from Lord of the Rings. Could've been filmed there.

Took some great photos. Ironically we heard about the Kea parrots last week from a friend who visited there. They'll strip your windshield wippers off in a matter of seconds.

Even more incentive to get down there. Thnx.

The first photo is Mt. Sefton, and the second scenic "snowy mountain" photo is Mt. Cook. I couldn't believe how flat and open the valleys were, and how little forest there was on the sides of the peaks. Very different from the Cascades.

Looks like fun Blake. Made it out to the West Coast yet?

They'll strip your windshield wippers off in a matter of seconds.

I had one strip the skirack rubber, wipers and rubber weatherstripping, then as if that wasn't bad enough he unscrewed the radio antenna on a rental car and it threw it on the ground. Patient little fuckers. What's really bad is when they get sugar into them - one of the ski fields lunch hut was ransacked by them a few years back. Really, really bright, cool birds. Close to humans - the big problem is roving packs of juvenille males who get bored and hoped up on junk food.