Twin Sisters approach conditions

fishstick

fish stick i am giving you approval to hike the snow free road all the way to the base of the ridge. the becky appraoch beta is solid, but do bring you mtn bikes to add that outa control feeling on the ride back down to the car.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback.

Re: Crazy carpets.

Frisbees are better from a multifuctional point of view.

Re: Bouldering.

Agreed, but try the stuff in the basin between the main peaks. Big grin factor.

Re: The area.

Everyone seems to head for North Twin's west ridge. I strongly recomend the West ridge of South as well. If you gain the ridge very low, it offers at least double the scrambling mileage of North Twin, at a similar grade.

Once again, thanks.

max no i am not. i am mostly everywhere but no where. i sleep in lakewood and tacoma, receive mail in e-burg, sacramento, tacoma and lakewood.

truthfully i really dont like the ham. most of the people i encounter there seem to be on some idealistic trustafarian trip that does not include the reality that most of us have to exist in. plus it is always overcast. though one of my best friends does live there so you can catch me there sometimes.

peace out dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????

fish the whole range has quite a few gems in it. have fun finding them!

by the way why do ask.

I agree that Bellingham is a great place. Have spent a bunch of time in the town and expect to spend more.

Excuse the wordiness, but I've got this approach for the sisters on file. I'll add a bit to the end for the north face.

North Twin Sister

Here's the verbal (textual) version of the directions beginning in Sumas Wash.

Watch your speed limit (25 MPH on main street). TURN left at the South end of town as for Baker (speed limit now 30 MPH) (radar on these two streets 98% of the time). No more radar beyond this point. Drive to Kendall (perhaps 15-20 k). Kendall is the place with the large NEW school on the right, fire station on the left. Impossible to miss the school. TURN right at Kendall beyond the school and drive towards Bellingham. Drive for perhaps 10k. You'll pass the "North Fork" aka "The Beer Shrine" on your right after about 6 k or so (recommended beer. Pizza OK but expensive). While driving up a slight

hill with a long gradual right turn, you can see the Twin Sisters to the left for a short period if the weather is very clear. A couple of K's after the hill, you'll see a small store on the left (might be called "the welcome store") with a white community hall or church beyond (next) to it. TURN left on to the paved road between the two. Drive the paved road for maybe 10 minutes (might be a bit less). After crossing what seems like a small bridge, (several K's beyond the farms with the 90 degree right then 90 degree left turns) a gravel road branches to the left at a 45 degree angle. TURN left here onto the gavel road. If you miss this turn and come to a big bridge across a river, turn around and find your road 1/4 mile or so back up the road.

Follow the main logging road following instinct! The only doubtful turn is when driving along a side hill where the road forks, offering a lower downhill option to the right TURN right onto the lower (and more traveled option). You'll cross a curved concrete bridge and 5 minutes later come to a yellow metal bridge that is probably gated. PARK here.

Ride up the road following the most obvious forks. The main option is a fork after only 5 minutes or so (gated), stay left on the main road. After 35minutes of walking (maybe 26-28 minutes on a bike) you'll cross a creek that has visibly yellow coloured water. 6-8 minutes above that you'll see a side road

branching to the right. Next to the side road on its left side is a pile of gravel. TURN right onto the side

road. After 5-8 minutes you'll come to an area where the road is blocked by large boulders (shortly after a great campsite on the right). No boulders = wrong road!

Follow the road beyond the boulders. Eventually cross a creek and continue to follow the main road (stay left at any options). North Twin will be clearly visible as you ride through the clear cuts. When almost directly below North Twin, the road in the clearcut hits a high point and begin to drop. 100 meters

beyond the high point a rather bushy skid road (with cairn) branches to the left. Rather hard to notice. TURN left up the skid road and follow main road. If memory serves correct you'll switch back to the left, then eventually to the right. Several minutes above the second (right) switchback a rather unexpected

switchback/fork appears to the left. TURN left and follow this branch, eventually doing a switchback to

the right and going into a logging landing (open level spot) several hundred meters later. The trail to the West Ridge begins here on the ridge crest.

Walking times are generally 2-2 1/2 hours to this point from the car, so around 10K.

**For the North face you have two options. From the final switchback prior to the logging landing, go straight towards the trees, ease right and maintain (or build) a bit of altitude until it's very obvious that you should ease left and cross a small creek.

Slopes open up and that point and route is very obvious. Note that small slides from the North slope of the lower West ridge can tag this area.

I've also wondered if it would be quicker to do the north face approach by following the West ridge train from the landing until it breaks out of the trees above (15 minutes). This requires a bit of elevation loss but might be more fun to ski.

Both options would work.

Enjoy your trip!

Does anyone know the status of this gate across the Middle fork of the Nooksack?

In the past, it has been open during the week and even on Saturdays (at times) but closed after hours. If you can drive past it, you save 6mi RT and 1600' vertical.

I noticed a couple of postings mentioning recent trips into the Twin Sisters range (near B'ham). I was wondering if anyone could fill me in as to any snow problems on the approach road (northern end). Normally I wouldn't be at all concerned, but melting rates in the Southern coast range seem pretty slow.

Thanks in advance for any info.