Spring Break in Valdez

sitandbefit

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out this guys web site for routes: http://www.geocities.com/frankenclimber

And this thread for conditions: http://www.alaskaiceclimbing.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=10

As for must dos... there are dozens in your range. Just drive through Keystone Canyon and look up! However - watch the weather; late March in Valdez can be hit or miss. Bring your skis for backups.

I'm heading to tropical Valdez for spring break. The plan is to climb ice until my legs and arms explode. Anyone climbed up there, how about must-do routes (Hard 4's and easy 5's)?

Matt

I've climbed there. PM me if you can't find the info you are looking for from the links posted.

I'm heading to tropical Valdez for spring break. The plan is to climb ice until my legs and arms explode. Anyone climbed up there, how about must-do routes (Hard 4's and easy 5's)?

Matt

Easy approaches and lots of ice. Things start to wrap up toward the first week of April. You may have ideal conditions or too warm weather.

Must do routes:

WI 4

Hung Jury

Rain Check

Simple Twist of Fate (4+)

WI5

Bridal Veil

Greensteps

Crystal Visions

This is only a small list there are many more routes most of which are good. The skiing should be excellent as well. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me at frankenclimber@yahoo.com

Here's an email my friend received regarding our trip. I'm just adding it so future searchers have somewhere to start. Thanks again for all the help.

Matt

"Climbing is really good right now and should continue to be could for awhile. It was really warm today but it should cool off again soon.

As far as recommended routes go there are a ton of them. I have been climbing here for over ten years and still find routes that are worthy of many a tick list.

If limited on time I would climb the big routes in Keystone as the approaches are short. Maybe start out with Simple Twist of Fate,WI5- then Bridal Veil, WI5 and onto Greensteps, WI5. A classic WI4 route is "Hung

Jury" the bells are great. If you are into sustained WI4 or easy WI5 Bridal Viel is not to be missed. Greensteps is more sustained but still fat and thick.

If the wind is up head to to the side canyons. Bear Creek has Rain Check WI4, Big Brother WI5 as well as some other routes that are worth checking out. Sheep Creek has a good group of WI5 routes that are worth checking out. Hole-In-The Wall canyon has "Second Coming" WI4, Dire

Straits WI4, and Cyrstal Visions, WI5. For a harder route check out 'My Three Rats" WI5."