[TR] Bluewood- Very Weeping Wall 2/26/2006

kurthicks

Climb: Bluewood-Very Weeping Wall

Date of Climb: 2/26/2006

Trip Report:

After a go at the Weeping Wall a few days before, I returned on Sunday with NYC007, pup_on_the_mountain, and a few non cc.comers. Much hilarity ensued. It's probably gone now with the rain and warm temperatures, but it was good, albeit wet, then.

We made sure to wear our gaiters; Justin rocked us all with his army green gaiters straight out of 1979 (on the right).

IMGP0543.gif

We all fell into the creek on the way in, so I found another way across it...Brokeback mountain style!

IMGP0567.gif

With inspiration from Justin’s gaiters, I hopped on a WI4 flow with 65cm mountaineering axes. The reach on those tools is awesome! I don’t know why more people don’t use them; you can choke up a full half-meter after swinging them. Who needs modern tools?

IMGP0562.gif

The creek poses a serious hazard for getting on the steep routes, as we found out over and over. Here’s Justin trying to stay upright and dry. Seconds later he peeled, penduluming about 6" above the water. hellno3d.gif

IMGP0549.gif

Once we got on the steeps, they were good.

IMGP0569.gif

Apparently the creek houses a substantial population of ice tools. Justin decided to do a little ice (tool) fishing, in hopes of snagging a particularly good looking specimen. Who knew that Grivel Race Wings were native to the creek?

IMGP0553.gif

To end the day, and season, I decided to have a go at the hardest pillar that was touching down (right into the flowing creek). It was steep, cauliflowered, chandeliered, and very wet. We decided that it was WI5. The pro was less than ideal. A good portion of it (like 10') got knocked down once the TR was up. hellno3d.gif

IMGP0576.gif

IMGP0577.gif

NYC007 following the lead

IMGP0586.gif

A great way to end the season! Thanks guys & girls!

Gear Notes:

Umbrella

Ice (tool) fishing rod

Approach Notes:

Someone needs to build a bridge across the creek.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic