potential questions for Layton's Mounties talk

Gary_Yngve

There's a classic quote from the Beckey excerpt of Tim Egan's The Good Rain.

"As teenagers they (the Beckey bros) joined the Mountaineers, a formal climbing group whose members are given to long and somber discussions about their long and somber mass expeditions to the high points of the Cascades."

This quote came true to me when I was sitting in a talk there from some folks who climbed some peak in Tibet. There was a couple hundred feet of alpine ice face to the top, and the audience was insistent in finding out exactly how many pitches and what angle it was. I found the repeated questioning of that minutia nauseating.

So what questions should Layton be prepared to answer?

Here are some possibilities, and I encourage more to be submitted:

How many pitches did you climb? How long was your rope?

Isn't it dangerous climbing as a party of two? We always climb as a party of 8 to 12.

How many rappel rings did you need on the descent?

Do you use belay gloves? How did you take those pictures and still belay?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What classes did you take to qualify for this climb?

Why didn't you just climb up the easy side?

I'm shocked that you left all that gear behind on your descent. To my mind, that's just littering the wilderness. I myself have climbed Mount Hood and Mount Rainier along with numerous other Cascade jewels and I have never been required to leave gear behind.

WHAT DO YOU POST AS?

yellaf.gifyellaf.gifcry.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifcry.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

-best post of the year

To those going...i will be hurt and dissapointed if I am not thouroughy (i am a bad spewelellr today) heckled and shit during the show. I expect the crowd scene to be similiear(see) to the opening of the muppet movie, fish and popcorn flying. I am bringing several bottles of tequilla to pass around under the table. and party afters...at somebody's (who?!) house, or bar.