• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
rockgirl77

Leavenworth--Icicle Creek

Has anyone been out to Icicle Creek to do some climbing? If so, what are the conditions? I'm dying to get out and work on leading some easier trad routes...Thanks!

I didn't actually climb anything in the Icicle, but as of Saturday things were looking pretty dry.(A high of 36 degrees on Saturday.) Icicle buttress was pretty bare.

I imagine if the weather stays clear you could find something to do.

north facing stuff is snowy and icy bring your tools if you know where to look.

South facing stuff was dry and in the sun for part of saturday. bring your shoes

Yes. Still In.

"Saturday we went to the Icicle and climbed Hubba Hubba which was actually in pretty good shape. From there we traversed over to Mountaineer Creek road to check out Mr Seattle and the routes in that vicinity. They looked really poor and scrappy, so we went home."

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/550473/an/0/page/0#550473

Edited by wazzumountaineer

When I drove by peshastin on Friday, it was dry and my car thermometer said 45 degrees.

hey it was more like 26 feet! and beggers cant be choosers! better to climb somthing than nothing, last week i ended up in banff, so this week i had no choice but to climb the road ice

Went to Leavenworth on Saturday, thinking that all the sun and mid-40s temps would have melted some of the snow. there was some bare and dry rock on the north side of the icicle, but an amazing amount of ice was still in on the south side. And there is a ton of snow. Couldn't even make it up Mountain Home road in 4WD. This is ridiculous. I keep waiting for the climbing season to start, when I should be hauling out the ice tools...

Rock was warm and dry in the Icicle this weekend. Pretty much everything on the Icicle Buttress side of the canyon is ready for climbing. Ice? It was in the fifties!

This is ridiculous. I keep waiting for the climbing season to start, when I should be hauling out the ice tools...

Ha! There is like 1" of snow left around only in a few spots in the Icicle. Have fun iceclimbing, it was T-shirt weather this weekend.

178786.jpg

I'm not trying to start a debate about whether there was ice or not, despite the 50 degree temps. Just giving people from this side of the pass a heads up that you shouldn't expect spring conditions. There is still a ton of snow and ice in the canyon, though the ice is definitely rotten-looking. The point is that it is there, and in crazy places I wouldn't expect, given the temps. The slabs on Pearly Gates, for instance, were covered in ice on Saturday.

But whatever floats your boat...

Edited by jonah

Top of Peek-a-boo Tower? Cool little summit nook, with a fun bit of gritty o/w to get there.

Yep, a nice route. All of 5.9 we thought.

Top of Peek-a-boo Tower? Cool little summit nook, with a fun bit of gritty o/w to get there.

Yep, a nice route. All of 5.9 we thought.

The step around after the initial face climbing is worth the price of admission on its own.