Leavenworth--Icicle Creek

rockgirl77

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Still In.

"Saturday we went to the Icicle and climbed Hubba Hubba which was actually in pretty good shape. From there we traversed over to Mountaineer Creek road to check out Mr Seattle and the routes in that vicinity. They looked really poor and scrappy, so we went home."

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/550473/an/0/page/0#550473

Edited by wazzumountaineer

Went to Leavenworth on Saturday, thinking that all the sun and mid-40s temps would have melted some of the snow. there was some bare and dry rock on the north side of the icicle, but an amazing amount of ice was still in on the south side. And there is a ton of snow. Couldn't even make it up Mountain Home road in 4WD. This is ridiculous. I keep waiting for the climbing season to start, when I should be hauling out the ice tools...

This is ridiculous. I keep waiting for the climbing season to start, when I should be hauling out the ice tools...

Ha! There is like 1" of snow left around only in a few spots in the Icicle. Have fun iceclimbing, it was T-shirt weather this weekend.

178786.jpg

I'm not trying to start a debate about whether there was ice or not, despite the 50 degree temps. Just giving people from this side of the pass a heads up that you shouldn't expect spring conditions. There is still a ton of snow and ice in the canyon, though the ice is definitely rotten-looking. The point is that it is there, and in crazy places I wouldn't expect, given the temps. The slabs on Pearly Gates, for instance, were covered in ice on Saturday.

But whatever floats your boat...

Edited by jonah