Cheap Rack

peakbetty

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is checking my resume? DeChristo goes and checks my profile and makes some incomprehensible remark instead of simply answering my question in a spirit of helpfulness and maturity.

Reason why I post so rarely to CC.com: every time I get on here, I get my ass chewed. I am a new rock climber (I have a couple seasons of glacier climbing in), however, I was not born yesterday. I know you get what you pay for. What I am trying to ask is...where can I get some good deals, what kind of pro is best for newbies, etc. Is that too much to ask?

I think Pro Mountain Sports' "ultralight rack" is a good concept. I looked at it when I started shopping. I ended up buying a full set of ABC huevos, a few DMM cams, some hexes, a red and pink tricam, and a bunch of Omega Pacific alpine draws. The rack has been good to me so far.

Wait until Spring and then climb the Tooth Monday mornings

This is also legit advice.

Resume

I thought your registration date singular.

For craggin', eh?

Hit the bulletin boards at outdoor shops. I'm sure you'll get an intro to the gear you need in your "crag course". Basics are a set of stoppers, larger hexes, quickdraws, extra biners and a few larger slings.

DeChristo, did you read my post about summit food? Got any advice there?

Nope, didn't read it, but I suggest some Midol.

A CHEAP RACK CAN BE ASSEMBLED ALA STONE SOUP WITH QUICK HANDS AND RICH GAPER CLIMBING PARTNERS! HAHAHA. THINK ABOUT IT THIS WAY...IS YOUR LIFE CHEAP? NOW...FINDING RIGHT BALANCE BETWEEN USIBILITY, COST, AND DEPENDABILTY OF PRO, THAT IS DOING THINGS RIGHT. I WOULD ASK YOU TO CLIMB WITH ME AND I WOULD SHOW YOU, BUT I ONLY CLIMB WITH RICH GAPERS BECAUSE I CAN'T AFFORD THE GEAR HAHAHA!

I think you're missing the sarcasm/joking nature of DH's remark. You're the one that made the comment about the boys having a way with the ladies. even in the non-spray forums, don't be surprised by varying degrees of sarcasm and humor. there's usual good info included. i see that some has already been added to the thread.

try going into your local gear shop and talking with them. ask your course leader what you might need. start building slowly. borrow other people's gear untilyou find what you like. some of it is just personal preference.

This thread is a riot! Keep up the good work!

My opinion on rack stuff:

Don't buy until you have a chance to try.

Ask around with the folks who took the crag course last year. There's always someone who was super-psyched to be climbing, bought an aid rack's worth of gear, and then remembered that their ass was too fat. I'm sure they'd happily trade shiny Camalots for donuts.