Eastern Oregon ice

sketchfest

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A week ago it was looking really good. I've climbed about 6 times in the past 2 weeks. And have discovered some new sweet lines.

Unfortunately, the last 5 days were really friggin warm and I was getting depressed about all the melting. madgo_ron.gif Sunday I found myself wallowing (wallowaling?)in 50 degree weather through belly deep snow (cement?) up a gully to get on a shitty little 20 foot section of tool sucking, aerated and melting ice. Oh, the things we do for love.

BUT... as I write this the temps are dropping again and with a wee smile from the weather man we will have spectacular conditions in a week. cool.gif

FWIW Feb & March are usually the best months out here.

I've only been able to upload a few, but it all started with a long approach to this spot that included massive skin failure and thigh deep wallowing in soft champagne powder

1963chandilier.JPG

when we finally reached our destination a combination of bulletproof ice, extremely high estogen levels in both myself and my partner and the onset of dusk only allowed us to climb the first pitch

1963100_0971.JPG

which also included a moon rise

1963moon_rise.JPG

the next day included a epic cowboy breakfast after searching out some super top secret ice in a location so secret that TG made me drive blindfolded, that finally led to an incredible day of tree skiing at the splended Fergi Ridge Ski Resort and Chalet. However the day after that brought us up to a beautiful pillar that was masterfully led by Steve (Steve doing his own fair share of wallowing to reach the pillar

1963Steve.JPG

and Funguy (don't be fooled by the TR in this photo)

1963spindrift.JPG

Sorry about the image size, but the small ones are just too damn small