Binoculars?

Squid

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Specifically for "scoping out" routes, I'd start looking for a 20x spotting scope as opposed to binoculars. You could also pick up a cheap rifle scope to save some weight if you intend to pack it.

There are way too many websites that sell this stuff. Just google it.

I'm with Bronco on that. Try contacting the Audubon Society. A year or so back I got a 18x birding scope that they had for some promotion. It weighs just under 2 oz including it's case. Good deal for just checkin the line in advance. I like it as they spent less effort on the pretty side and lots on the optics so that you can see clearly.

http://www.eagleoptics.com

Their "buying guide" pages probably have more than you want to know about optics. I've made very significant high-end optics purchases with them and been quite happy with the experience. Be especially wary of NY/NJ area on-line photo stores that offer great deals (B&H excepted)...

I think these would suit you well:

cutting edge optics

-t

Edited by terrible_ted

For the past four years I've been doing a lot of new route activity in Turkey. I use a cheap $100 spotting scope to decide whether to walk over to a wall or not. To determine if a wall is decent rock, a spotting scope is great. I am told that you want binoculars for viewing things in stereo--like a tank when you're deciding whether or not to blow it up. I have a 60x spotting scope that I can see the glint of a bolt on limestone from about two kilometers on a clear dry day.

That said, for "hitting the right spot" on a wall from miles away, I use a pair of cheap 'waterproof + fogproof' bushnells (bushnells) that I got at B&H. For this kind of thing, i like 8x30 or 8x42. Any higher than 10 hurts my eyes and takes me longer to acquire my target. Any more than $80 is imho way too much money. I figure that $10 per walk is well worth the money to avoid tramping down a wall for a kilometer in the sun when I'd rather be climbing. That means I have to make the binoculars last 8 trips to pay themselves off, which is pretty hard. I've wrecked two pairs, lost one in the past four years.

(When I am in NYC, I live literally above B&H, so it's the easiest store to go to.)