Portland to Patagonia TR!

layton

for what it's worth, I made my own grivel double spring-like leash the other day. cost about $5:

$1 - swivel from the hardware store

$2 - shock cord: 10 ft

$2 - that red non-climbing tubular webbing: 12ft

you can get the webbing and shock cord in the rental department of REI.

I threaded the shock cord into the webbing, tied the swivel in the middle, and then adjusted the shock cord and the length of each 'tentacle' so it felt about right and then tied overhand knots in the ends. you can pick up the little mini carabiners at REI and tie them in here, or just clip in regular ones. I ended up cutting off about 1 ft of excess shock cord and a little webbing. looks just like the $40 grivel, but better b/c of the swivel.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodness gracious! Look at all the 'techie-tech' talk clogging up this poor, defenseless TR...

Um, the Grivel bungee works well for leashless climbing. Retracts to keep outta the way better than regular cord. Saw it in a photo of a gent who climbs harder than Jesus on a route that had repelled Titans...humbly asked him and he said "Thou shalt get the Bungee Thingee!" And I obeyed...leashless glee with no tool-droppy!

For leashed climbing: I used cord from leash-to-pack for longtime too. A-Number One, Joe!

Take your pick...Pepsi or Coke...Ashley or Mary-Kate!! They're both hot. Now be quiet. I'm sleeping...