TR: REI BLOWS!! SHOP ELSEWHERE!!!!

Choada_Boy

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they DID replace my helmet last week; I was strapping my Petzel Elios to my pack, when one of the chin strap attachment points came off. Bad rivet job, apparently. Kinda makes me wonder about Petzl's QC, but that's another story. The helmet was less than a year old, so no problemo w/ exchange.

What I did want to bitch about though, is that I thought that I might spend my dinky dividend (Rather shop at FF across the street) on a replacement Evolution pick for my Grivels. You'd think a place like REI.com might have something like that, you know; CLIMBING GEAR, but nooooooooo. PS: I already knew that they suck.

Well, they DID replace my helmet last week; I was strapping my Petzel Elios to my pack, when one of the chin strap attachment points came off. Bad rivet job, apparently. Kinda makes me wonder about Petzl's QC, but that's another story. The helmet was less than a year old, so no problemo w/ exchange.

What I did want to bitch about though, is that I thought that I might spend my dinky dividend (Rather shop at FF across the street) on a replacement Evolution pick for my Grivels. You'd think a place like REI.com might have something like that, you know; CLIMBING GEAR, but nooooooooo. PS: I already knew that they suck.

They do have climbing gear. I was in the Seattle REI last week and counted 7 different models of leashless tools. I bullshit you not. They only had one leashed tool (with picky fuck thing), but no body uses leashes anymore now days right? They also had a couple pairs of boots with built in crampons. You see, REI isn't for your standard alpine climber wanks. They are only catering to the hard core climbing elite. I hear they are the official and only sponsor of Gym Jones.

Funny... I was just going to post and ask Mr. Choado what helmet he ended up buying and where.

I'm back to the 10yo model for now. I'm looking into the HB Dyneema, they are hard to track down, but score high on the impact tests and are uber-light. Anyone have any experience with this helmet?

Yeah, they are outstanding, the lightest and strongest. Good luck finding one now though...

• 2 months later...
if your rope got a core shot while you were jugging it over an edge would you take it back to REI and tell them that your older rope never did that?

Uhhhhh ........ blush.gifconfused.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gifblush.gif. Well, you don't feel so bad when you walk out with a new sale rope, a climbing mag and $7 in your pocket by way of exchange eh?

• 2 years later...

This is like the time I bought a pizza from pizza hut at a taco bell, ate 3/4 of it, realized it was expired by like 15 minutes (after I got home and ate 3/4 of it), then took it back and said it was expired and cold. I got all "wtf do you mean I can't get my $5 back?" So the manager was scared and pooped in his pants and gave me $5 to not 'roid rage on him. True story-ask my girlfriend.

If I wanted to go to Nordstroms then I would go straight there and not mess around with, "Outdoors Nordstroms."

REI is funny. They went downhill after the move from Capital Hill, and the downtown REI is even stupider then it was when they first moved there.

I like going there to laugh at the place every once in awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

It goes both ways. I laugh every time I go into one of the "local climbing shops" only to be reminded by the staff of how "core" they are and how "newbie" I am.

Any "experienced" gear shopper knows what to expect from stores big and small.

As Always - Caveat Emptor

I can't believe it when Base Camp closed. It's like REI kicked my childhood dog. If any of you Bellinghamsters have a soul left, then you can help to stop the raping of the town by non-local interests. Shop at American Alpine Institute, Fairhaven Bike and Mountain Sports, or Sportsmans' Chalet instead.

StaREIbucks is no different now than any other national chain, sadly. Like the rest of America, whatever grace it had was violated by the "growth is success and success is growth" disease. (There must be some metaphysical connection to the obesity problem... cheeburga_ron.gif)

What happened to Backcountry Essentials on Holly? It was still going strong when I moved away.

It goes both ways. I laugh every time I go into one of the "local climbing shops" only to be reminded by the staff of how "core" they are and how "newbie" I am.

Any "experienced" gear shopper knows what to expect from stores big and small.

As Always - Caveat Emptor

agreed. :tup: PMS has great service!

But some of the people working at marmot(in bellevue) and FF are just plain full of it. Especially the chick with the tight shorts, you know who you are.

Edited by XXX

It pisses me off REI can'thave a representative in the animal world like marmot, or even generally like feathered friends. Get with the program, corporate fux! boxing_smiley.gif

REI's would be a pigeon ("rat with wings").

There was a recent news item about someone who killed a falcon because it was preying on pigeons. That's REI's demographic.

I wonder if this is a serious thread at all? are there some of you experienced alpine/rock climbers who go to supply stores looking for climbing information?

I can't remember a situation where I needed a floor sales person's input on my climbing or what to bring or how to use it, is this where many of you bashing REI expect to get information? From Crampons to rope diameter I can shop without help, from now on instead of going to REI and asking questions, just post your questions here and go there with the confidence and backing of CC.COM : )

This entire thread dredged up from the past is lame, REI has a huge selection of many products, I get some gear there and shop around at other stores, but I never go to these places for Knowledge.

Maybe at 45 im a little old school and could be missing something.

I wonder if this is a serious thread at all? are there some of you experienced alpine/rock climbers who go to supply stores looking for climbing information?

I can't remember a situation where I needed a floor sales person's input on my climbing or what to bring or how to use it, is this where many of you bashing REI expect to get information? From Crampons to rope diameter I can shop without help, from now on instead of going to REI and asking questions, just post your questions here and go there with the confidence and backing of CC.COM : )

This entire thread dredged up from the past is lame, REI has a huge selection of many products, I get some gear there and shop around at other stores, but I never go to these places for Knowledge.

Maybe at 45 im a little old school and could be missing something.

well said.

I go online and order from wherever I can get the best deal. Sometimes that's REI. When I order from them, I have it delivered in the store, which involves the minimum time spent in store.