[TR] Los Alamos area rock- 11/10/2006

Climb: Los Alamos area rock-

Date of Climb: 11/10/2006

Trip Report:

I spent most of last November in Los Alamos. There wasn't (and still isn't) any snow in New Mexico, but I was lucky enough to go rock climbing a few times while I was there. There's a ton of really fun rock climbing everywhere in New Mexico. No alpine or wilderness like Washington, but it sure is nice to be able to climb in the warm sun on a nice day any time of year.

I drove around the Jemez Mountains with Michelle. We were looking for Cochiti Mesa but couldn't find it. I hiked through some scratchy brush and found a random appealing dihedral. It was a fun lead, but scary placing gear in volcanic tuff. I belayed Michelle to the top of the canyon just as a thunderstorm hit.

RandomCorner.jpg

Sky leads a random corner.

Formations.jpg

Really cool formations off a mesa in the Jemez Mountains

We climbed at another spot in the Jemez Mountains too.

JemezRoadside.jpg

Roadside sport climbing high in the Jemez Mountains

We went to the Sandias but it was just way too cold. The really cool thing about the Sandias is that you drive to the top, over 10k, then hike down the mountain to the base of your climb. Looks like lots of adventurous climbing there.

Finally we went to the Overlook at White Rock, just 10 miles down the road from Los Alamos. The Overlook is a park that overlooks the Rio Grande and the Sangre De Cristo mountains. Lots of fun, steep trad and sport climbing on basalt columns. The climbing pictures all looked crappy, but here are a couple to show the scenery and rock. Thanks for the heads-up about the Overlook JayB, sorry I don't have better pictures!

Overlook.jpg

Views of the Rio Grande and the Sangre de Cristos on the hike to the cragging at the Overlook

Columns.jpg

Standard column at the Overlook. All the sport climbs kicked my ass, but the cracks were fun to lead.

Oh yeah, I had a good time doing easy hikes up some 12k peaks there too.

PecosSummit.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I managed to thrutch my way up some overhanging, off-width 5.9 there at the Overlook. On the ground again, I go talk to this couple who were both just firing up 5.12 face climbs. I couldn't have gotten one bolt on these crimpy climbs. I'm talking to them and at some point in the conversation they both say in agreement,

"Yeah, trad climbing freaks us out." yellaf.gif