Climbing in Cuba?!

runningdog

Hey, I'm considering heading down to Cuba for a couple weeks of climbing and traveling...real soon like.

Sounds great, right? bigdrink.gif But, I was just wondering how easy it is to hook up with climbers around Vinales once you're down there. Is it as easy as it is in Thailand(doubt it!)?

I'm going down solo and don't want to waste any days milling about w/o a partner.

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting into Cuba is not hard at all. You can get flights from Mexico City, and from major Canadian hubs. The Cubans love American money, so they really want you to come. They don't even stamp your passport, so there isn't really any trouble there either. I've really wanted to go for the past few years, but just never enough time...

If you're climbing in cuba... they REALLY need gear down there. Dave took a load of donated gear down with him when he went in December. Shoes, for example would cost the equivalent of a year's salary or some crazy stat like that. I can't remember exactly but it was bad. So if you have any gear you can afford to leave behind they'd really appreciate it. I'm sure Dave can give you more info and hook you up with the people you need to talk to down there. And the good karma might help you to avoid the GeeDubya police wink.gif

Yes, there is little to no gear in Cuba as far as I could tell.

The good climbing seems to be in the Pinar Del Rio area. Specifically around Vinales. Vinales is a nice little town. I could probably dig up the address of the place we stayed (a private residence that rents rooms, common in cuba) which was decent.

I didn't actually climb in Cuba. But I talked to a couple locals there who do. I also took a horseback ride out into the country and checked out some of the rock, looks like there are a lot of interesting possibilities there.

Also, shortly after we got back (Dec 02 I think), there was an article in one of the climbing magazines about cuba.

are you kidding me?? It's that easy? I heard there's all kinds of new laws and reg's as of '05 thanks to our fav prez that make it even harder to get in? or actually to get back..getting in isn't the prob..coming home is where there are issues?? right? Or am I just a niave little gal listening to the law and afraid for all the wrong reasons?