[TR] Mt. Hood- Leuthold Couloir 2/19/2006

fat_squirrel

Climb: Mt. Hood-Leuthold Couloir

Date of Climb: 2/19/2006

Trip Report:

Skied from Timberline at 7:15AM, very cold (10 degrees?). Roped up in a team of two at Illumination Saddle and protected with vertical pickets from below Hourglass to Summit. Four experienced buddies soloed the route ahead of us without any problems. Excellent conditions, relatively warm when in sun, little ice/rock fall. 10 hrs round trip. Check link below for climb photos:

Trip Photos

Gear Notes:

Three pickets. Used running belay.

Edited by fat_squirrel

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

climbed this too the day after - i don't ski but when i was on it in the mornign i can't imagine trying to slide down it - quite icy! the best part of the route has to be the final trudge up cathedral ridge - the wild exposure over to the summit is most tranquil, especially int he super narrow parts in a howling gale smile.gif

wind chill was -40 monday morning at the summit, according to my handy-dandy rei thermometer chart.

how's Yokum looking?

beeeeeaauutiful - totally covered and rimed up - the other conditions monday were less than ideal though as it was quite windy and a nasty cloud system started rolling in just before noon which would have made me start feeling alot nervous - near the top of luets i saw what appeared to be two climbers bailing off either yocums or the sandy though - heading back towards illum gap from the toe of yocums. don't know what their story was.

i'm a little surprised not to hear any board-types sprayign bout having done yocums over the past 2 weeks...guess all the real hardmen have been up north

Route was mostly styrofoam, with many icy spots. I don't think it would have made for a good ski. If it was any warmer, avy would have been a concern. There was definately ice at 1-2ft level underneath. Yokum looked rimed up good, but judging from the consistency of the rime in the gully, I don't know how climbable it would be.

letsroll - I use a Garmin Foretrex 101. However, I imported the track into Terrain Navigator LOS/topo software, created a route based on the track and then exported it. I am not sure of the formatting of the route file (rxf), but if you open the file in a text editor, you can see the coordinates for the individual waypoints of the route, some of which include descriptive names if they represent significant spots on the route.

Great point CC - it sure makes it a lot more fun without GPS or coolade! I think of GPS as insurance and use it only when I absolutely need to (has happened on a couple of occasions).

The GPS thing is nice, but maybe consider just doing it by your own observations of the terrain. It's a lot more fun to climb w/o all that crap. I mean, an arrow drawn out with koolaid would be nice too but...

I was wondering how long it would take until someone spoke up with this response. Turns out it took far longer than I expected...