WOLVERINES!!!!

olyclimber

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's what I thought too: big prints, obvious claws - bears; but I sure didn't want to meet a bear in the mountains in February... But then looking at photos of bear prints, it's clear they weren't bear prints. I wasn't going to draw any conclusions myself, but a friend in the know seemed convinced it was a wolverine.

(AP) Cascade mountains

Several local climbers have reported oversized snafflehounds acting agressively, with at least one climber having his 'third tool' bitten. Some are blaming wolverines for this rash of weasel attacks.

A local gumby, who we'll call 'olyclimber' for sake of anonymity had this to say. "Golly, that them there snaffle, they just go snark snark snark, he jumped up and we was wrestlin' and that ding dang furry butt and then my yoda was torn in half, sumbitch!"

In 1983 I was enjoying lunch after climbing up the first half the E Ridge of Cutthroat Peak. I was looking into the basin when I noticed what I thought was a bear below me crossing from North to South. I realized I was looking at a Wolverine when I pulled out a monocular. The Wolverine was just lumping along toward the base of the ridge when I think he got a whiff of me. He looked up my direction, turned around and in about 30 seconds traversed the entire basin, sprinting over the ridge toward Cutthroat lake. That same ground would have take me about 30 minutes to cover. I was impressed.