Approach skis

Squid

I am looking for recommendations for approach skis for those trips where the skiing is not the point- (colchuck lake approach, for example).

I have a randonee setup that I enjoy when I'm heading to places with decent skiing, but I'm getting sick of the weight of the skis (because I am weak).

I was looking at backcountry x-country gear, or even silvretta's mounted on light x-country skis. Anyone have any recommendations?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a pair of Fisher Outtabounds this winter and mounted them with some old Silvretta 300s. They're pretty slick until you (a) encounter deep snow and have to break trail, (b) encounter crusty snow, © encounter ice, or (d) have to turn. Come to think of it they're not much fun at all on anything but hard packed XC ski trails.

My personal philosophy is to get a decent pair of skis that will work in all conditions and suck up the extra weight. The Fishers are super light but when I'm on my face every 5 minutes due to their instability I start wondering why I bother.

Currently I use either my GF's She's Piste mounted with Silvretta 500s (short and light) or my Tua Crossrides mounted with Dynafits. Both of these skis rock in all conditions. The bummer is I can't make excuses when it's my turn to break trail.

tx for spelling that out! i've been going through these permutations too.

i think i'll go with:

re-uniting my scarpa vegas with the silveretta set up (now that i've learned to stay upright); and

finding a bargain on dynafits for my skiboots;

i do keep light wt. hand-me-down leather, 3pin tele gear around incase of a fantasy, long flat approach.

I use 120cm Hagans. 130/90/120 with twin tips and Silvretta 500s. The modern version of the ski is only available in a 130cm. Skiing with climbing boots sucks, but it sucks less with these. Best suited for denser, coastal snow. Less suited for weak wind slab covering bottomless powder. Very good as skis go when they need to be packed through bush. I would strongly recomend a binding that has a 90+ mm crampon (not the 500s) because the skis have so much sidecut per length. This is problematic crossing steep, icy slopes.

They aren't that light however...

GB

They have a natural turning radius of I think 7.8m. They turn VERY tight turns with ease. Problems start with jump turns because the tails are very short (and have twin tips) so you need to land in a very balanced or slightly forward position. They're pretty cool at times because you can ski steep trees lines on the north shore that make little sense with big skis. They're also a good training tool in the sense that they force you to think more about fore/aft balance. They don't replace big skis, but are a positive addition to the quiver.

GB

Atomic always has some superlight cheap touring ski each year. In the past it has been the TG:10/TourGuide Superlight. No idea what it's called this year. They are solid skis for skiing, and quite light.

I know my friend picked up some MX7s for touring, they are lighter than my planks and he picked them up for $40. tongue.gif

I'm on 190s, and going to get some 176s at the end of the year so I can really aim for that spiral fracture going down shiite that is over my head. But I'm skiing Rocky Mtn pow-pow so I need the extra floatation to carry around my bigdrink.gif -belly