Any old time mountaineers climbing this summer?

thatcher

Is there anyone here or does anyone here know someone who has climbed for years and years, but is now shall we say "well aged", yet isn't letting their physical limitations actually limit them, even if it means slower summits.

My point is that I want to find some old school guy who is still climbing (because old people climbing are much much more interesting than us yougins) and I would like to shoot a documentary about that person if they have maybe another rainier climb left in them this summer.

Let me know if y'all have anyone in mind.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see it now:

Water breaks to take your Centrum, Fee discounts for AARP members, hearing aids for the interviews, changing Depends on the summit, etc......OH THE SICK GNAR GNAR!

jk, good luck. Just about everyone on this site is in the geriatrics ward, you shouldn't have any problem finding someone at all.

There is a guy named Al Hodgdon in Pullman. He's 64 or 65

years old, and in great climbing shape (he runs

~35 miles every week to keep fit, apart from the climbing

trips). He has climbed all over the place here, and has

done some 13 different routes on Rainier. We were talking

about doing Rainier last year, but didn't come around to

it. I'm pretty sure he'll be up for Kautz or some other

less crowded route this year, but not sure how he'll take

the whole documentary thing confused.gif.

I have a friend whose father is in his late sixties. When I knew him real well about eight years ago he would run and marathon every year and do Rainier at least once. Since I lost touch with him he has climbed Denali a few times, Cho Oyu and numerous other peaks around the local area. I may be seeing him in the next month as well as my old scoutmaster and both of those individual I deem rather worthy of such an endeavor. Of course, who am I.

Tom Hornbein is definitely still getting out, although most of it will be near his new home of Estes Park, Colorado, where he's moving pretty soon. Word has it he recently got a new AT ski set-up as well. A shame he won't take up telemarking at his young age!

Bill Sumner (FWA of Forbidden, various FA's: S. Face of Prusik variation, N. Face Vesper, something on Index, I think he was on the American K2 Expedition, etc) still climbs occasionally. He lives in Ellensberg. I know he soloed the W. Ridge of Stuart last summer.

Sumner and Hornbein go way way back - could make for a great film if they would be interested. I know Tom had a FA of the Edmunds Headwall and I think Bill may have been with him - not sure.

Edited by Winter

• 9 years later...