[TR] South Brother- South Face 2/19/2006

sambataro

Climb: South Brother-South Face

Date of Climb: 2/19/2006

Trip Report:

I took a two day trip up to the Brothers this weekend, it doesn't seem like the Olympics get many winter ascents, but this weekend was perfect for the occasion. I saw numerous lines of water ice along the approach up the E fork of Lena Creek, although it looked a little rotten. The gully system up the south face was solid snow/ice, great for going up, but had to downclimb just as carefully from the summit.

An amazing trip! I have a lot of respect for the Olympics. After staring out my downtown office window at the Brothers the last few weeks of good weather, it was time to look down on Seattle instead. Check out more details and photos at:

http://isc.astro.cornell.edu/~don/pictures/joe_climbing

PS I also put up photos of the N Face of Chair from the weekend previous

Gear Notes:

-axe and crampons

-another tool and a partner would have been nice

Approach Notes:

-cold temps made all the snow solid on the approach, no need for snowshoes

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was this the route you did? I did it several years ago in cold but thin conditions and submitted it as a new ascent to the new Olympics Guide. I remember a short rock section midway up with a bulge that was a little scary to get over. I also remember thinking that I really didn't want to downclimb it. I went up after work and did most of the route by headlamp (hence the name). I bivied on the ridge and continued on to the summit the next day. Great climb.

For reference, from the diamond shaped snowfield at the base of the route you just make a right turn and enter the standard couloir route for the South Brothers.

310mid_Couloir.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

don't check this too often, anyways, what are moms for--i should just stop emailing her the link to my photos, but its kinda entertaining.

as for the route mneagle, i summited via gulleys heading south directly beneath the summit for the most part, whether its the standard summer south face route, im not sure. Did you have to traverse NW along the ridge from midnight gulley to reach the summit?

Here is that photo I took from the snow-filled meadow: DSC_0382_resizedb.jpg

After ascending the gulley on the west, a rock band and narrow gulley continued straight up but I exited east 50 m to gain a wider gulley. At the start of this gulley, a gendarme was on the right. I ascended south and meandered to the summit. Hope thats clear.

cantfocus.gif

and, hey dan and dan

cheers