Found: Crampon on N Face of Index

Stuart

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The story happened thusly...We were climbing on the N Face and had just reached the top of the exit gully to the snow bowl when I looked down and noticed I was only wearing one crampon. Which was strange because I distinctly remembered wearing two for most of the morning. I downclimbed to the end of our ropes searching for it and found nothing. We bailed from there figuring the crampon was lost and not wanting to have to try to get down in the dark without it.

What had happened was that when I had readjusted the crampons for my plastic boots I had unwittingly reversed the heel peices. So the D rings for the straps ended up on the inside instead of the outside allowing them to rub on my legs and detatch themselves. Then, I'm not really sure how, but one of the bails must have popped off. I had actually noticed that the straps were reversed when I put them on that morning. Unfortunately I didn't have a wrench and screwdriver with me to fix them. I guess the 9 grams or so I had saved by replacing the quick adjusters with bolts didn't really pay off this time.

I was pretty pissed but restrained myself from burning any stumps back at the lake.