Overhyped Routes

layton

Funny how a name, a really good pic, or reputation for whatever reason can make a route that may not be so good, hard, or aesthic. Here's a list of climbs i believe may be "overhyped" and if repeated would get a full supply of congrats that a harder route may not get

-Eve Dearborn Memorial

-Thermogenesis

-Dragontail Madness

Climb one of these and you'll be a hero!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chestbeating opportunity here is off the charts.

exactly.

just a little food for thought as to why we'd climb a route, and why folks keep mentioning those route over and over again...

Someone may have climbed eve dearborn this weekend, not sure. Two friends bailed on it on thursday. Said the gully looked ez, the crux was extreme moss/shrub climbing to avoid the waterfall pitches. I'd still be psyched on it, just cuz. The '78 route looks like the bussiness though

I've climbed a few underhyped routes that most people bag on but I actually enjoyed, but I can't think of their names off of the top of my head.

It seems like it would be tough to call EDM overhyped - at least to my way of thinking, because to me an overhyped route is something just a bit harder than a trade route that acquires a mystique that's just not warranted by it's difficulty, position, aesthetics, etc. In Since no one has ever repeated the ascent, despite being widely coveted, and the FA's had acquited themselves pretty well on some serious shit elsewhere - it seems like it would be hard to call the EDM overhyped. Maybe "maddeningly difficult to find in condition for the past 20 years" or something would be a better description.

The chestbeating opportunity here is off the charts.

exactly.

just a little food for thought as to why we'd climb a route, and why folks keep mentioning those route over and over again...

Someone may have climbed eve dearborn this weekend, not sure. Two friends bailed on it on thursday. Said the gully looked ez, the crux was extreme moss/shrub climbing to avoid the waterfall pitches. I'd still be psyched on it, just cuz. The '78 route looks like the bussiness though

Chestbeating: They should have listened to me......

Da Toof. ooo.gif

I assume you are referring to the S. Face; that is one that I would say is definitely NOT overhyped. It is simply fantastic. I'm not kidding.

There are climbs that I think DO fall into the overhyped category: Outer Space, Liberty Crack, the South Face of Cutthroat, and Observation Rock for example. The Tooth, however, is about as exciting as it gets for the grade and the rock is great. It is easy to get to, easy to set up, and you climb at a continuous grade right to a cool summit with no screwing around. The descent is straight-forward. Lastly, you can see it from I-90 so everytime you drive to Ellensbury you can look up and remember how cool it was!

Da Toof. ooo.gif

I assume you are referring to the S. Face; that is one that I would say is definitely NOT overhyped. It is simply fantastic. I'm not kidding.

There are climbs that I think DO fall into the overhyped category: Outer Space, Liberty Crack, the South Face of Cutthroat, and Observation Rock for example. The Tooth, however, is about as exciting as it gets for the grade and the rock is great. It is easy to get to, easy to set up, and you climb at a continuous grade right to a cool summit with no screwing around. The descent is straight-forward. Lastly, you can see it from I-90 so everytime you drive to Ellensbury you can look up and remember how cool it was!

I got a bite! It is good, that's why I put the ooo.gif on the end. Spread the word. thumbs_up.gif

Funny how a name, a really good pic, or reputation for whatever reason can make a route that may not be so good, hard, or aesthic. Here's a list of climbs i believe may be "overhyped" and if repeated would get a full supply of congrats that a harder route may not get

-Eve Dearborn Memorial

-Thermogenesis

-Dragontail Madness

Climb one of these and you'll be a hero!

How about climb a route because you want to?

If someone climbs one of those because they want to... awesome! More power to them!

If someone climbs one of those (or any other route) to be a "hero" or impress others that's their choice but I think in the end their climbing career will be largely unfulfilling.

Climb something because you want to... not because you need self validation yoda.gif